A question of change of pickups

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/03/2005 3:41 pm
Ok, my colleague in action owed me money and found himself unable to pay me off... so I took his guitar and amp. It's a 50 watt Rogue amp and that's all I know on that. My question is the guitar though. It's a BC Rich Warlock bronze series. I figure I may as well get a better sound out of it so I ask for any suggestions on affordable humbuckers that would fit in it. I'm not in love with it so I'm not shooting for top notch, just something to get a better sound.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 1
matteo1
matteo1
03/03/2005 5:30 pm
well, is their a certain tone you are after? like what kind of music do you play?
# 2
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/03/2005 9:24 pm
I guess I could've specified that earlier. I'm probably going to leave it in drop D tuning since I'll probably be playing this guitar as often as I use drop D. And since drop D is typically used for heavier stuff I guess a good heavy tone would work well. I mainly wish to change pickups because I make the assumption that Bronze series BC Rich stock pickups are worth replacing and for some guitar building experience. Keep in mind I'm in no mood or financial position to make this a big point of investing as it's a $150 guitar and nothing I've come to be emotionally bonded with (not yet anyway) and what with my SG and Strat near by I'm going to be more biased to pick those ones up first, but I figure I might as well make it decent and get some experience with working on a guitar.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 3
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/03/2005 10:06 pm
you took his guitar and amp? wow... well what should happen if he one day got the money, brought it to you, and asked for his guitar and amp back? but you'd already replaced the pickups? lol. I guess it's none of my business about that... but if money is tight, you could just replace one of the pickups, so if you want a heavy sound you could replace only the bridge pickup with a semi-expensive pickup... just a thought on a way to half your price...
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 4
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/03/2005 10:41 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsyou took his guitar and amp? wow... well what should happen if he one day got the money, brought it to you, and asked for his guitar and amp back? but you'd already replaced the pickups? lol. I guess it's none of my business about that... but if money is tight, you could just replace one of the pickups, so if you want a heavy sound you could replace only the bridge pickup with a semi-expensive pickup... just a thought on a way to half your price...

Well I did partially think of that, but when I considered his financial state, which is far worse than mine, he's been in the negatives in his bank account for quite a few weeks so I don't forsee him getting the money any time soon. Furthermore my priorities right now are paying off debts myself, fixing my cat and moving out so I'm not expecting to make any big changes any time soon. Just planning ahead, y'know?

Hulk Smash!!

# 5
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/03/2005 11:16 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsWell I did partially think of that, but when I considered his financial state, which is far worse than mine, he's been in the negatives in his bank account for quite a few weeks so I don't forsee him getting the money any time soon. Furthermore my priorities right now are paying off debts myself, fixing my cat and moving out so I'm not expecting to make any big changes any time soon. Just planning ahead, y'know?

I hear you, and I know what that's like, not necessarily fixing a cat or moving out, but having financial priorites, so you plan ahead... lol. like me and my marshall half stack and les paul... lol. financial priorities...
my spyspace
# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/04/2005 1:53 pm
Yeah, you prove some valid points and it makes me wonder that much more on whether or not I should just sell it. Like you said, it's not worth anything great and I can tell this when I play it. Ultimately I think the bridge and pickups are its primary downfall (not to say it doesn't have others) and if I start working on it then it's probably gonna be sacrificed to experience. It'd give me a good chance to learn how to work on guitars but I don't want to waste any quality equipment on it when it clearly doesn't deserve it. And the amp... well. what I can I say about the amp. It's 50 watts and my 30 watt marshall still blows it away. By the way, perhaps this is a dumb question, but what are "teeth"?

Hulk Smash!!

# 7
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/05/2005 2:17 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOnei just meant in the context of it sucking ;)

Oh...jeez... good one.

Hulk Smash!!

# 8
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/05/2005 7:22 pm
Originally Posted by: PonyOnei just meant in the context of it sucking ;)

ha ha ha LMAO
my spyspace
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.