If you have the internet don't tell your friends

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/02/2005 11:26 pm
Ok, so I'm coming home from work.. It's a pretty regular day. And when I get home I boot up my computer and low and behold. SPYWARE. Everywhere. "where did this come from?" I asked myself as I examined my computer. I found a yahoo instant messenger update exe file on my desktop. A file my friend Will downloaded and installed. Lucky me because it's getting worse and worse and I've got 2 separate spyware programs on my computer and neither one can seem all the **** deleted. I'm basically furious at him and wish to see his blood splattering on my walls because of this. I know this guitar-based website isn't exactly the place to go, but can anyone help me out with this? I'm having no luck at all on my own.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 1
paradyme
paradyme
03/02/2005 11:30 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsOk, so I'm coming home from work.. It's a pretty regular day. And when I get home I boot up my computer and low and behold. SPYWARE. Everywhere. "where did this come from?" I asked myself as I examined my computer. I found a yahoo instant messenger update exe file on my desktop. A file my friend Will downloaded and installed. Lucky me because it's getting worse and worse and I've got 2 separate spyware programs on my computer and neither one can seem all the **** deleted. I'm basically furious at him and wish to see his blood splattering on my walls because of this. I know this guitar-based website isn't exactly the place to go, but can anyone help me out with this? I'm having no luck at all on my own.

Hey man, always some crap with a friend who likes to chat online isn't it? I use a combination of spyware removers- Adaware SE (free download- good stuff) as well as a program called hijack this! (it's used to show and delete registry entries which spy programs usually make). Another program called XoftSpy is good too- sadly you have to run like 3 programs in tandem to clean your system... Hope that helps.
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis
# 2
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
03/02/2005 11:40 pm
I gotta agree with Paradyme. So far I haven't found one program that can get rid of them all. I've had the best luck running Adaware and Spybot search and destroy.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/03/2005 12:18 am
Buy a Mac so you open up exe files and laugh at them :p
# 4
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
03/03/2005 12:26 am
You might want to download Mozzila Firefox, regardless of what people say, it is alot more protected from pop ups/ viruses. The only thing about mozzila, is that you can't access certain websites with advanced Java Plug-ins. So its your choice.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/03/2005 12:39 am
Gota love the good old G5 !!

Oh yes

(And what a terrible smart arse I am !!)
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
paradyme
paradyme
03/03/2005 12:49 am
Originally Posted by: DreamRyche2112You might want to download Mozzila Firefox, regardless of what people say, it is alot more protected from pop ups/ viruses. The only thing about mozzila, is that you can't access certain websites with advanced Java Plug-ins. So its your choice.

I gotta back this up- firefox is THA BOMB! Much less vulnerable to security risks than IE Explorer. As for the mac observation, it is true, but games are a little lacking for the mac, although I admit they are off the hook for audio/visual work.

You can download plugins directly through Sun Microsystem's Jave support website- I found that it's pretty flawless.
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis
# 7
pricklepuss
pricklepuss
03/03/2005 1:38 am
i had a toolbar hijacker on my computer recently, i ran xoftspy, spybot search and destroy, adaware, plus a load of other anti spyware/virus type programs but they couldnt get rid of it. i ended up reinstalling xp and starting again.
ive used mozilla firefox in the past, but it is really really slow. it takes forever to load pages, and it just gives up most of the time.
the best browser ive found is avant browser, its loads more secure than internet explorer, and loads faster than mozilla firefox.
# 8
alucard0941
alucard0941
03/03/2005 2:02 am
get Ad-Aware for spyware. Its the best program to get IMO.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

its really good
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 9
spiritinthesky2
High Bandwidth
spiritinthesky2
High Bandwidth
03/03/2005 3:12 am
I was having the same problem only it was my wife not a friend that loaded my computer up with that crap! I thought about just locking her out of the "puter" but realized the negative effect that would have on my sex life, so after running spybot AND adaware, my system was still real slow. I went to the microsoft update page and ran across Microsoft anti-spyware beta 1 it found literally dozens of things that the others did'nt.
Spirit
[FONT=Arial]Champane taste and caviar dreams will leave you broke every time![/FONT] :cool:
# 10
crazywolf
Samson
crazywolf
Samson
03/03/2005 4:19 am
Originally Posted by: alucard0941get Ad-Aware for spyware. Its the best program to get IMO.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

its really good

Holy crap in a box!!!! I just downloaded and used the program....my computer is moving faster than the speed of light now!! What took 3 light years before now takes like 3 nanoseconds!!
1 Peter 2:16
# 11
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/03/2005 2:20 pm
Well, I fixed it. Turns out it was some spyware thing called Elitebar. Hijack this and spyware doctor ended up doing the trick. So far it seems to be doing better. And by better I mean there hasn't been a single popup ad yet since I "fixed" it.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 12
kingdavid
kingdavid
03/03/2005 3:53 pm
When it comes to computers, software and stuff like that, I've stopped listening to people as much as I'd be inclined to. Everyone seems to have their own opinion. Someone here says Firefoxx takes forever to load pages. My own experience is totally different. I got it in November or December, heard all the hype about how secure it is (and there's plenty of people to tell you it's utter bogus :confused: ), and I've used it ever since without a problem.
So I'd say listen to everyone, but don't take anything you read like it's the Gospel truth.
Here's my opinion:
Try the Yahoo! tool bar with anti spy. It has an anti spyware program that seems to work well for me. I've used it on several computers and it has worked in all of them.
# 13
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
03/21/2005 1:47 pm
I actually have the source code for the world's smallest virus on my computer. MASM owns all y'all.

I also use and recommend lavasoft and mozilla. I am also of the belief that no computer should be without this or a similar product (I think cDc also made a nice packet ap).
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 14
alucard0941
alucard0941
03/22/2005 12:48 am
Originally Posted by: crazywolfHoly crap in a box!!!! I just downloaded and used the program....my computer is moving faster than the speed of light now!! What took 3 light years before now takes like 3 nanoseconds!!

glad to see at least one of my recomendations on this site actually got some notice... :p
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.