Next piece of equipment

MFerguson
MFerguson
02/25/2005 2:53 pm
We got the band thing going-we're 6 months into our 1 year plan before performing. I need to know what is the next logical piece of equipment we need to polish our sound.

We have instruments, amps, mics, mixer and cassette deck for reference recording.

Some say vocal effects with reverb and pitch correction, some say sonic maximizer, some say a mixer with built in effects, some say a powered mixer with effects so we can feed both house and monitors.

We're not made of money, so we want to take our time building the correct systems rather buying stuff only to sell on to e-bay 2 months after we find out its not what we need.

We play progressive country, it that makes a difference. We are heavy vocal/harmony group.

Thanks for any help.
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/25/2005 3:58 pm
You shouldn't need pitch correction and IMHO sonic maximizers sound dreadful ! If you miss a harmony, and it is a one off, well no one will walk out. If you miss the same one all the time, then change it. Knowing your range and being able to hear on stage should be all you need.

If you have a nice analogue desk / power amp / speakers / monitors, Id go with an Alesis midiverb or similar. I have one and it is very easy to use and great for vocal verbs.

A cheap compressor or two is also a good idea to tighten up drum sound / vocals. If it for live work it doesn't need to be expensive.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
MFerguson
MFerguson
02/25/2005 5:02 pm
Thanks, Doctor-

There is a used alesis microverb 3 at my local store for $49.99 us.

Would that work?
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/25/2005 5:57 pm
Yep, they are nice bits of kit !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.