Anyone into scalloping necks here?

Rolf G Riley
Rolf G Riley
02/12/2005 6:12 pm
I apologise if this is a recent subject..I just got here.

I want to scallop my fender classic 70's maple strat neck. I cant find a local tech who'll touch it so it's down to me. The questions i have are:

1) If i scallop just the higher side of the fret board, (gradually tapering up to the lower side where there would be almost no scallop), am I looking at warping problems?

2) Should I loosen the truss rod before I start?

I know some guitarists think scalloping is a waste of time, but i am a convert having played for several years on a yjm strat.

On the yjm the scallops are even all the way across the frets, however because of the side dot markers (which I understand go in about 6mm) I cannot scallop deep on the dot marker side of the neck. So I thought I would taper the scallops.

Has anyone ever done this? Know any cool sites with a step by step guide on this stuff?

Thanks for any help. :)
# 1
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
02/12/2005 10:26 pm
This may help http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/scal1.htm

Actually,that whole site is pretty useful...
Try once,fail twice...
# 2
Rolf G Riley
Rolf G Riley
02/12/2005 10:52 pm
i thank you kind :) sir!
# 3
Rolf G Riley
Rolf G Riley
02/13/2005 8:44 am
Pro:

You can play notes without your fingers touching the wood of the fretboard. This can let you play pretty fast.

You get a better grip on the strings . These allow you to build up with practice a pretty fast and accurate style.

Vibrato is increased as you can choose to push down harder into the fret and achieve a kind of string bend sound.

Also when you hand the guitar to a mate and tell him to play it mostly they are stuffed and are unable..making you look much better than you really are :rolleyes:

Cons:

Takes a little gettin used to

Watch how you play chords, I have no problem now but at first it was strange.

It is expensive to buy a ready scalloped neck, and risky to scallop your own.

I advise you to have at least two guitars, and only scallop one to start with. Or buy a ready made scallop neck at warmoth, or if you have the cash buy a yjm :cool: .

Play one first for a day or so before starting out on this route, some players apparently never get used to it. :confused:
# 4
Rolf G Riley
Rolf G Riley
02/13/2005 1:06 pm
personal taste I guess. Maybe he feels he just needs the extra grip on the higher frets...either that or he wimped out with the dremmel tool. :D
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.