View post (Hold your horsies!!)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/04/2001 2:57 am
Absolutely. Practice as much as you can, know eachother as best as possible. The last gig my band played myself and the guitarist went into a turn around when we weren't supposed to, but our drummer was right on top of it, and the whole medly was salvaged- and actually came out sounding good. Also, remember that when mistakes happen, you all have to be honest with eachother: Nobody should go around blaming other people, but you all need to be able to say "oh god, did I goof here ____________" or "steve, that drum roll messes me up every time, can we do it differently?"
In the studio, our drummer couldn't get a drum roll down at the beginning of the song- he kept adding beats that shouldn't have been there which of course screwed everybody up. So the solution became to make it like sound like we messed up, almost stop the song, then [SNARE!] back into it like nothing happend. And it sounds a lot better than the old intro.
So yeah, more practice time is an absolute must have thing for now. Someday you'll get to the point where between having been together so long and gigging, you won't need many practices, but for now the key is practicing until it hurts. Being a musican means being creative in a lot of ways, not just musicly, but how to fix things on stage, how to move things far heavier than you really aught to, and how to get rides 20 miles into the boonies. It's all part of the deal, and when it comes right down to it, it's a blast.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons