Part 2 of cheapest ways to Record

Doc Holiday
Doc Holiday
02/08/2005 12:58 am
I dont mean to step on any toes or sound like I cant come up with my own threads, but this kinda goes along with Chucks thread about cheapest ways to record.
Prodigy mentioned about plugging a lead into the headphone jack of the amp and running it to the Mic input of the computer. Wonderfull idea, but, what if you dont have a headphone jack to your amp? I run a Yamaha DG80-112 this amp was NOT manufactured with a headphone jack. I have a crate that does but if I am gonna record I would much rather have the modeling effects of the Yamaha. It is much more versatile.Plus the Crate has began to get a little age on her and sounds as though she has seen her better days.
Any Suggestions?
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/08/2005 1:24 am
I probably woudn't advise using a headphone output to record with.
A headphone jack is amplified and your computer sound input is line level.
All you'll get is a whole bunch of distortion.

Probably the cheapest way is just get a mic off eBay. You can easily get an SM58 for less than $100.
If you want cheaper than that, go the Radio Shack route for about $30.
If that's still too much money, go rummage around in a garage sale or something and look for an old cassette deck microphone with a 1/8" plug.
You can probably get one for .25 cents.
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/08/2005 1:47 am
recording off a headphone jack is NOT a wonderful Idea as the impedance and signal level is totally WRONG for either a line level or mic level input.

Listen to uncle Schmange and go get an SM57 and an XLR to XLR cable off eBay and an xlr to 1/4" jack adapter from radio shack and plug that into a MIC (LoZ) input socket of your sound card.

Better still get a second had pod V2 for 100-150 bucks off ebay and plug that into a LINE level input of your sound card. No mic necessary.

using headphones output is a very bad idea, not least because it sounds bad but also because you can damage your sound card.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.