Stereo or mono

MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
02/05/2005 9:15 pm
I have been using a 4 track tape recorder and i realized that the 2 guitars on it sound better when i pan one left a little and one right a little. But when there both in the middle its a littled drowning out, will this happen live also, because i dont know if i will have to play live with mono or with stereo, what is better and why?
Mike ;)
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/06/2005 8:12 am
Depends on the rest of the band, the style of songs you're doing and whether you're playing leads or chords. It also depends on your equipment...for instance are you going through the p.a. or using two amps? Also, how does going through the P.A. affect the vocals and are you talking about a home studio p.a. system or a club p.a.
It also depends on the venue and whether you're playing a small room or an auditorium.
Keep in mind that the sound you're hearing on your 4 track isn't just stereo ...it's a double tracked guitar.
Generally though, if you play live, the guitar is usually 99% mono for a rock band.
If you're at the level where you can afford a soundman and a P.A., you've gotta sit down over time during rehearsals and have him mix you like you'd sound in the studio. This could be anything from micing two amps in stereo or putting a separate feed through the p.a., applying effects and delay etc. and then working on the sets until each part is planned out in advance.
# 2
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
02/09/2005 7:37 pm
It sounds better panned b/c it's more balanced and you get that natural chorus effect kicking in. Seems like the natural chorus effect jumps out much more when 2 guitars are panned opposite each other. As for live, I'd suggest staying with Mono, just b/c in a small club, the people are close to the P.A. and the people on the left side would mostly hear the 1 guitar coming out of the left cab, and vice versa..
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.