sound by tremolo?

donely
donely
01/31/2005 1:42 am
often you see joe satch.. steve vai or even dimebag doing this..

something like pulling the whammy bar.. or tremolo u call it..

den it creates a sound like 'eeeeeein' ..sounds realli smooth and sweet sound.. does not sound like feedback to me.. sure i think overdrive is used..

joe does it that most.. pulling the trem to the bottom of the guitar.. hmmm

any idea how to do that? :)

sorry i aint clear about that :)
# 1
Fender244
Fender244
01/31/2005 1:53 am
I'm not sure if you're talking about using a whammy bar but all you do is push the whammy bar towards and away from your guitar and it will give you the sound i think you are talking about. I dont know if that helped at all but there ya go.
# 2
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
01/31/2005 3:44 am
Originally Posted by: donelyoften you see joe satch.. steve vai or even dimebag doing this..

den it creates a sound like 'eeeeeein' ..sounds realli smooth and sweet sound.. does not sound like feedback to me.. sure i think overdrive is used..

Well, there's 2 ways to do this.

One is just by using natural harmonics. Like hovering your finger over the fifth fret of any string and picking the string. You should hear a harmonic, then you just move the trem bar back and forth.

Or you can do the same thing with a pinch harmonic (a la Vai, Satch, Dimebag). Pinch harmonics occur when you touch the string right after you've played it. Most people acheive this by using the tip of there thumb on their picking hand. You just let your thumb hang over the tip of the pick a little bit and strike the string.

It's hard to explain, but not that hard to do once you figure it out.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 3
donely
donely
01/31/2005 2:10 pm
http://s24.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3ECWZ50YN53GV27W0QCCTRW2QG

ok guys.. the sound on the right channel..
# 4
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/31/2005 11:36 pm
In the mp3 file you linked here , it sounds like a whammy pedal to me .... All of the 3 guitarists you've mentioned used it oftenly , but it has nothing to do with the whammy bar on the guitar.

The trick mentioned by "Pantallica1" is also something those 3 use a lot too , so I'm confused about what are you really asking for ... If you could just name a track for any of the 3 artists , may be I could give you a better and detailed answer.
# 5
riconaka
riconaka
02/02/2005 6:53 pm
Originally Posted by: donelyoften you see joe satch.. steve vai or even dimebag doing this..

I think I know what you're talking about. I am a big Satch fan, and I've looked into this as well and I actually figured it out. If I understand this correctly, you're talking about a divebomb effect he uses on... say, Fying in a blue dream. Before you attempt this, you need to know how to do pinch harmonics.

What you do is,

1) Do a pinch harmonics on the B string,
2) Take your left hand and push down on the whammy bar, and you'll get the effect.
3) You can push down on your whammy bar, not too much that the strings are like spaghetti.
4) Do what you do for the pinch harmonics, and slowly release, and you'll get the upwards "weeeeeee" sound.

It's a cool trick. I've had people look like :eek: when I did it, and sometimes, I can't replicate it at the same part of the song, so, I need to work on it some more. It also helps to raise the pickup closer to get more gain.

Hope that helps.

Rich
[FONT=Arial]Rich Nakatsu[/FONT]

My Songs on Soundclick.com
# 6
alucard0941
alucard0941
02/03/2005 2:45 am
Just make a high harmonics note and ressece the whammy

only works if you have a floyd rose
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 7
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
02/04/2005 4:14 am
Originally Posted by: Akira Vai also does this trick where he'll have the trem bar facing the opposite way to which it would normally face (so if you had your guitar with the head pointing towards the ceiling, the trem bar would be pointing towards the floor). He plays a note, or a flurry of notes and quickly hits the trem bar which makes it twang sorta. It sounds sweet, especially coupled with wah.

Dimebag (RIP) always did his natural harmonic tricks with the bar in that position too ... Of course Vai does more unusual tricks than anybody else , that's why he's ... VAI ! :D
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.