View post (how to: make a good song)

View thread

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
04/06/2005 3:00 pm
I tend to handle song structure with care. I don't like making my music linear and would follow "screw the system" any day over making a basic song. I've written material that's turned into linear songs (that I'm still editing and re-writing) that just never satisfied me like my non-linear tracks. I don't like predictable music too much and try to keep my material as unpredictable as possible. Also let the record show I've written about an EP worth of songs and it takes me freaking forever to get one song down. By that I mean, for the 3 years I've been playing, it took me 2 of those years to write one song. Of course I wrote others along the way, but that one song was the proverbial "bigger fish to fry" and all the rest was seemingly of lesser expectations. Not to say I'm not proud of the others, but the one I put more focus into and now that it's done. You get the idea. But the structure isn't anything in particular. There are verses strewn about, but no chorus what so ever and everything between the verses is varying. I dunno, I hold expectations with my music and I'd rather take the absurdly long amount of time to see to it that my music doesn't suck. Being linear is, in my opinion, being limiting.

But what I just said doesn't help you any. So let me add to this. Writing good songs takes time, a lot of patience and observance. Think about what would be best for the song. Say you have that 3 chord passage, whatever may come after that might not be so much based around the guitar, maybe a bass fill or some drums or whatever. If the next piece sort of fits but you feel like it could be better, then it probably can. Don't settle for anything but the best that you can bring and just because you've "finished" a song, doesn't mean you can't salvage it for parts, re-write it, or scrap it completely later. Remember, "rules" are more guidelines than anything else in music. If there was a set way of doing things then a lot of songs never would've been made.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.