need just a little more blues

spanky10940
spanky10940
01/29/2005 2:33 am
hey everyone -

I have a pretty specific question (which is kinda rare because everyone seems to go "how can I sound like Vai") anyway...

I love playing, listening to and trying feebily to solo over the blues. I know the major pentatonic pretty well and the blues/minor scales... My question is, are there other scales I should be messing with? Also, I was told that most of soloing is about following the scales up and down the fretboard and also making chords. I've seen a few licks that just don't seem to follow the rules or their not a scale I know...

can you combine them to make other riffs?

thanks all!!
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/29/2005 2:42 am
[font=trebuchet ms]Blues is a lot like jazz in the sense that you gotta learn as much as you can, and then put it all away when it comes time to play. Forget all that stuff about scales n' modes and **** like that. Just set your mood, think about what you wanna say, and then play![/font] :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
StudMuffin
StudMuffin
01/29/2005 4:39 am
as b.b. king says: dont worry about the notes you should play. worry about the notes you shouldn't play. ;)
We all drown in blackened waters
-zakk wylde
# 3
IbanezRG19
IbanezRG19
04/25/2005 4:15 am
With blues, you have to feel every note that you play. Don't think about what to play, just play whatever comes to you at that moment. Also, with blues speed is not alsways the best way to go, holding a note can do more for a song than multiple notes can.
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/25/2005 5:35 am
Slightly off topic, but the blues also has a lot to do with the sound of the guitar itself. Gibson guitar, thick strings with lots of body, not too much treble on the pickups and a Fender Reverb amp or something similar.
For instance, the blues on my Roland guitar with extra light strings played through a Marshall amp just don't sound right no matter how ya play it.
# 5
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
04/25/2005 6:10 am
Try "waking up in the mownin, gettin yerself a beeyah, losin yer baby..." Seriously though, I'm sure there is some merit to this, that having crap happen to you, or good things even, would inspire emotional playing beyond scales and notes.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 6
ake
ake
04/25/2005 3:22 pm
It's in him and it's got to come out; let that boy boogie woogie!!
John Lee Hooker
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power;we will know peace" J. Hendrix
# 7
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
04/25/2005 4:32 pm
Originally Posted by: spanky10940I've seen a few licks that just don't seem to follow the rules or their not a scale I know...

steve vai doesn't limit himself to the pentatonic scale :p. he'll pull out mid-eastern scales and all kinds of stuff you have to know theory to recognize (which i don't). From the little material i've come across in my short time playing, most licks are either pentatonic (blues/rock) or ionian major (sounding spanish).

should you worry about other scales? depends on what you want to play. if you want to dabble in some exotic stuff, i say go for it.
# 8
Kutzki
Kutzki
04/26/2005 3:25 pm
dude, for blues, there is a whole new rule book man.
THERE ARE NO RULES...except one. Its just whatever sounds good. Screw the scales, and tapping and sweep picking. That **** sounds stupid over the 12 bar blues so leave it by the waste side for another but blues man, its all about just blues man. What i do recommend is listening to some bands thou, they help. Steve Ray Vaughn, ZZ Top, Eric Clapton, Aerosmith, Buddy Guy, Skynard(beleive it or not), Eric Johson, Jimi Hendrix(Red House haha...thats a song name.) They are the heavy blues players but they got all sick different styles, you gotta go now and make your own dude
go and make your own style and you a blues master
good luck
hope that helped
When it comes down to it, our guitar's will always be there for us. :rolleyes:
# 9
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/26/2005 3:46 pm
Check out my lessons and tutorials, they are chocked full of blues lead lessons !

Click the link in my sig below.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.