We can punk if we want to

hendrixintraining
hendrixintraining
03/29/2001 1:01 am
As the growing number of power punk bands like Good Charlotte and American Hi-Fi is it a good move for a young band influenced by punk AND metal to go this way? because my band is trying to get on a hardcore, ska, and punk compalation CD, and in the next few years i think this power punk stuff thats appearing will slowly get more popular do you think i'm right in my guess?
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/30/2001 6:33 pm
Could be. I think things are going to go the way they are now for a wile longer, then people are going to get fed up with it and will go after something that just sounds "different" (kinda like the whole grunge/alternative thing a few years back). It's anybody's guess really. Something will come along, something will fade way, it's the natural cycle of these things.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
03/31/2001 4:41 am
Do me a favor. If you're starting up a punk band please don't sound like all these other high pitched, still haven't gone through puberty, punk bands. To answer your question, no. This new punk is not going to make it. Once people realize that all the new "pop punk" that's coming out all sounds the same, they won't want to listen to it anymore. Trust me, I live in the center of the new punk movement and it's not going anywhere. And if it does it won't last very long.
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/01/2001 5:36 pm
Oh but will it?
"Normal" people don't listen to music the same way musicians do, and we've all seen history prove this over and over. What sells records is a sound people find somehow catchy, what eventually kills a band/movement is when people have been saturated with it and get tired of the sound. So while we're saying "it all sounds the same," or "that's the same chords as this other song... don't you hear that?" most people are thinking "yeah, well I like it." But they get the same thing thrown at them for months by the industry and eventually they get sick of it and find something else to latch onto.
Think "Hootie and the Blowfish."
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.