what to do next

crazywolf
Samson
crazywolf
Samson
01/26/2005 5:46 am
about a year ago, i tought myself a few chords on my friends guitar. i picked the chords up pretty quickley, and can still transition between the chords fairly quickley. i also have a decent understanding of music theory- i can play quite a few instruments (drums, different saxaphones and clarinets combined for 7 years, and bagpipes)
for a few years, i have been writing. recently i have started writing a lot more lyrics that i would like to start putting music to. i also have a friend that will let me borrow his acoustic guitar while he is off at college.
what should i do or start working on?
1 Peter 2:16
# 1
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
01/26/2005 6:44 am
Work on your soloing. Chords are nice and are your best tools for songwriting, but if you ever want to start doing gigs it's pretty hard to get a good fan base without doing solos or three-chord semipop covers (being able to jam being the preferable option).
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 2
StudMuffin
StudMuffin
01/29/2005 4:48 am
i think it depends on the music you are looking to play. but whatever it is, you should keep working on your chords. try picking it up to a rather brisk pace. and work on playing them cleanly. be tough on yourself. if you hear a buzzing string, play it over again.
if you are playing harder rock, work on palm-muting your chords. do all downstrokes for better chunk though.
if you are wondering what to do next, dont worry about soloing. because judging by that question, you are a long ways from playing for an audience. work on everything else, then focus on solos.
We all drown in blackened waters
-zakk wylde
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.