drummer n guitarrist at the same time?¿?

dragon's child
dragon's child
01/23/2005 1:39 am
I'm tryin to start a band , I play drums and guitar, but i make my songs obviously on my guitar, so I got a "drummer", by now we are 3, 2 guitarrist n this drummer, I write the whole music, n I get some help with the lyrics from the other guitarrist, the thing is drummer is close minded, he has no creativity n seems to be deaf (has troubles followin the rhythm), he's been playin 4 a yr, so I have to write the drums lines as well...I'll probably be the singer...so I think the band's gonna be called "Luis"(thats my name) :confused: ...shud i keep on doin that until he is able to make his own stuff (if he is gonna be)or kick him out of the band?
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/23/2005 2:44 am
Originally Posted by: dragon's child... the thing is drummer is close minded, he has no creativity n seems to be deaf (has troubles followin the rhythm), he's been playin 4 a yr, so I have to write the drums lines as well...
[font=trebuchet ms]That sounds like someone you could replace with a drum machine, since you've gotta write the drum parts anyway. Toss him, and while you're looking for a replacement work on your songwriting with the other guitarist. You should be looking for a bass player too.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/24/2005 5:32 am
Mabey he is so close minded that he think that your the same way. And think that you wont like what he comes up with. So he just doesn't come up with anything.

can't he grow as a musician with the band? Is he retard and can't learn anything? Can't you teach him how to play drums? No? then kick him out.
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 3
dragon's child
dragon's child
01/24/2005 6:01 am
Originally Posted by: HambergMabey he is so close minded that he think that your the same way. And think that you wont like what he comes up with. So he just doesn't come up with anything.

can't he grow as a musician with the band? Is he retard and can't learn anything? Can't you teach him how to play drums? No? then kick him out.

U almost make me cry... ;) lol....but ur so right I'm gonna try to teach him and let him grow and see what happen...I think I'm close minded as well I didnt see it that way.
# 4
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/24/2005 8:41 am
Originally Posted by: dragon's childU almost make me cry... ;) lol....but ur so right I'm gonna try to teach him and let him grow and see what happen...I think I'm close minded as well I didnt see it that way.

just remeber that he may have an ego thats easily damaged. But you know him and I don't so you'll know what to do.
# 5
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/28/2005 9:10 pm
Dude I ignored your tone def part of the question. Unless the problem is occuring due to a lack of a bass player (which is highly likely.) one thing that might help him with listening to what your playing is for him to learn how to play bass. Just sit down at a drum set and jam every once in awhile with him on bass. Just you the two of you so he can hear how the drums interact with it.
# 6
Three Fifteen
Three Fifteen
01/30/2005 6:23 am
hey. Im a drummer. and i know a lot of drummers that are the same way. hearing that guy say that he could replaced with a Drum Machine, (nice by the way) is a pretty bad burn on the Drummer. ive been playing for almost 7 years, and im pretty serious with my musical talent.
find a new drummer. there are 1000's out there, and only about 10% of em are good. so look around. find the perfect drummer for the band (good luck with that by the way)

-3:15
:D [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Luck Zero [/FONT] :D
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/30/2005 7:50 am
Originally Posted by: Three Fifteen... hearing that guy say that he could replaced with a Drum Machine, (nice by the way) is a pretty bad burn on the Drummer ...
[font=trebuchet ms]Yeah, I was being harsh intentionally. I've watched too many bands wither and die because they couldn't bring themselves to toss out someone who was not pulling their share of the load. Your estimate of 10% is about right. And that number shrinks when you factor in all the personalities that have to get along together. >sigh<

And BTW: Welcome to the Guitar Tricks forum![/font] :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8
moody_fa_loonie
moody_fa_loonie
01/30/2005 6:18 pm
put rat poison in his cereal save urself the trouble of firin him from the band...if the police ask u anythin juss call up johnny cochrane and its all good
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/30/2005 7:18 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]I do hope you're trying to be funny! That's very close to being the kind of post that I'm supposed to delete.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 10
paradyme
paradyme
02/05/2005 12:48 am
Originally Posted by: dragon's childU almost make me cry... ;) lol....but ur so right I'm gonna try to teach him and let him grow and see what happen...I think I'm close minded as well I didnt see it that way.

that's a good choice I think- sometimes the greatest things happen when we give up a little creative control and see what someone else can do with it. If the kid doesn't have the level of skill needed to carry the beat (a guitarist can have a bad night and it isn't the end of the world, but if the drummer has a bad night, the band had a bad night),do whatcha gotta, but I'd let him (or her) add some flavor to the mix and see what happens.

peace
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.