right hand troubles

ranma187
ranma187
01/22/2005 9:01 pm
ok. i am having a big problem eliminating distance with speed picking. even when i start out slow and get up to speed my hand vibrates so much it could please a woman. but i'm not pleased. i am hitting other strings and it just sounds like **** even when i hit every note. i have videos of malmsteen and michael angelo and it looks like their right hand barely moves. (michael angelo is left handed but plays right hand guitar btw).

so how can i get it smooth? i've tried with a metronome and the speed trainer in guitar pro. i've tried holding the pick differently and some ways i feel more control but the sweat pushes the pic back to where its sloppy again.

does anyone know what i'm talking about?

ranma187
# 1
Metal4you87
Metal4you87
01/23/2005 3:22 am
Originally Posted by: ranma187ok. i am having a big problem eliminating distance with speed picking. even when i start out slow and get up to speed my hand vibrates so much it could please a woman. but i'm not pleased. i am hitting other strings and it just sounds like **** even when i hit every note. i have videos of malmsteen and michael angelo and it looks like their right hand barely moves. (michael angelo is left handed but plays right hand guitar btw).

so how can i get it smooth? i've tried with a metronome and the speed trainer in guitar pro. i've tried holding the pick differently and some ways i feel more control but the sweat pushes the pic back to where its sloppy again.

ranma187

Michael Angelo is ambidextrous. Try keeping your 5th finger (pinky) on the pick guard to keep your hand steady. Most guitarists do it for the purpose of better sound quality and precision.
# 2
Kateshi
Kateshi
01/23/2005 6:35 pm
Originally Posted by: ranma187ok. i am having a big problem eliminating distance with speed picking. even when i start out slow and get up to speed my hand vibrates so much it could please a woman. but i'm not pleased. i am hitting other strings and it just sounds like **** even when i hit every note. i have videos of malmsteen and michael angelo and it looks like their right hand barely moves. (michael angelo is left handed but plays right hand guitar btw).

ranma187

well, lets see. Yngwie and Batio pick mostly from the fingers (pointer and thumb)> That is what works for them. What works for them may not work for you. Me for example, I have to hold the pick with my thumb pointer and middle fingers. I get most of my picking motion from the wrist. Find whats most comfortable for you.
How long have you been practicing alternate picking? If it hasnt been for long, well dont expect something to happen overnight. It took me over a year to get fluent in alternate picking.
How firm do you hold the pick? You should grasp the pick lightly,
but not light enough to let it slip. Also pick selection is important. Most faster players prefer thicker picks, I'd recommend Dunlop Jazz 3 or Jazz 3 XL's.
Start practincing on ONE string. Once you can play perfect on one string move to two, then three and so on.
Again if you havent been practicing this for long, give it some time. It sounds to me you havent been though. Speed is a by product of precision.
Strive to nail things at slower tempo before you move up the tempo. Let me know if this helps.
# 3
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/24/2005 5:05 am
To keep the pick from sliding back lock the back of it into the groove between the tip of your index finger and the middle part of the finger. Choke up on the pick leaving the smallest tip possible while keeping it locked in that groove. While remaining in a natural playing position use your right forearm to apply pressure on the face of the body (were your arm would be anyways.) It should feel somewhat natural. Use your pinky finger to anchor on the pick gaurd, and if you need to use your ring finger too. Play some songs with alot of palm muting like this. You will have mad control.
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.