Washburn = (Steve Vai) Ibanez??? Possible?

Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
03/23/2001 10:35 pm
I have a great 7 string washburn with floyd rose tremlo system but i have a quistion, if i wanted for them to paint the head stock and put a "Ibanez" logo onto it would that be illegal? Im not going to sell it as a ibanez guitar i just want a better name brand on it, I put dimarzio evolution humbuckers in it and i just really wanna "re-do" the guitar, or do you think I could just order an Ibanez neck from the company and stick it on my washburn or would they need to "fit it", also, I kinda basicly wanna turn this into a Steve Vai guitar, so could i get a handle cut into it? or would that affect the guitar and its sustain/tone?
My guitar is like an umbillical cord, its wired into my head.
# 1
trendkillah
trendkillah
03/24/2001 12:10 am
Why don't you leave your guitar like it is, and get yourself a Ibanez Jem?
Better then ruining a perfectly god guitar.
# 2
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
03/24/2001 12:15 am
ya i suppose, but the jem's are so damn expensive!
# 3
Bardsley
Bardsley
03/24/2001 12:58 am
Why do you have a problem with it being a Washburn? If you say it is a great guitar, then shouldn't you be proud of it? Putting an Ibanez logo and cutting a hole in it isn't going to make you sound any more like Vai, and I couldn't imagine him thinking it was a good idea. In a way, it's like geting signature series guitars, although I realise that jem's are perfectly common. I always thought, imagine if you got really famous using a signature guitar of someone else? Sure there are some good signature series guitars out there, but I always think it is better to try to find something yourse;f, rather than emulating your heroes.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 4
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
03/24/2001 2:26 am
You gotta admit, though, the great thing about the Jems' is that he doesn't stick his name all over the damn thing. It's just like any other guitar except everybody knows Steve helped design it. As for cutting holes into it... yes it will affect the tone. And about the Ibanez logo on it... try to be more creative so people won't think that it's just a rip-off of an Ibanez. Write some kind of phrase where the name brand usually goes. Something like "EetmeE", or anything that would get some attention.
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 5
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
03/24/2001 2:26 am
ya i know i jsut got the thought in my head for a second and i jsut had to scream it out! i wouldnt do it to my washburn i guess, its just ya know how people think if they see u with not as a great brand like a gibson or a ibanez or somthing like that that u cant play guitar good, but im sure im one of the best players in our school, and im only 14 (ill be 15 in 3 days) and i think that out of my high school i could be better then anyone else, i can play purple haze and the solo to it, i know practicly every metallica song ever!! what was i talking about erliar? oh right, but anyway i would like to atleast get a differnt neck on it because i dont rather like the xtra jumbo frets.

Bad Horsie thats a good idea, just kinda make it into my own thing, like kinda have my anme signatured in the corner of the washburn logo or somthing like how kirk hammetts ESP is. I might just decorate it with stickers and stuff, i think that would be kinda cool

[Edited by Mr. Vai on 03-23-2001 at 09:30 PM]
# 6
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
03/24/2001 8:41 am
Yo if it sounds kick ass, that should be enough. Don't be ashamed of a guitar's name or maker, i'd give my big toe for a washburn 7-string with a floyd on it. I play on a lot of bottom of the crap barrel and not so famed named guitars and i love it. I like the fact that i got something ain't everybody else ain't got. I don't think i'm gonna run into anyone on the street who can say they have a guitar like my sonica wholey moley strat. Keep it fresh and o.g. man!
"Take my hand boss"
# 7
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
03/24/2001 10:13 am
hmmm..
i know someone that had a squier guitar, and everybody told him that the guitar sucked..
then he took his guitar and put fender symbol on it instead of the squier one, and most of the people thought he bought a new guitar and told him he had a great guitar..
so basicly i think you can do it... but then again it won't change the guitar for real
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 8
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
03/24/2001 10:55 am
lol, a lot of people think the name is always important in what you play. I bet having that fender logo on his guitar made it sound 10 times better to the people who told him it sucked.
"Take my hand boss"
# 9
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
03/24/2001 5:43 pm
ya, i doubt anybody has a 7string washburn witha floyd on it well, atlesat for only a few people maybe
# 10
scottay51
scottay51
03/25/2001 12:08 am
i'll take the washburn over the ibanez any day. but, maybe you have a "bad" one. every manufacturer ships a bad one now and then. i'm getting ready to buy a washburn "j9vg washington" because of the way it plays. i've sample a few different makers and i am pleased with the action on this one. it's a nice guitar, although a different type than what you have. maybe you should sell the 'burn and collect enough extra to purchase the ibanez. good luck.
:rolleyes:
# 11
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
03/25/2001 12:19 am
the washburn i have has 2 humbuckers and a single coil, i replaced one of the humbuckers with a dimarzio evolution, now would the sound be even more better if i put a differnt humbuckers in teh other one?
# 12
scottay51
scottay51
03/25/2001 12:36 am
you really don't like the wshburn . . . do you. i'f i were you i'd still sell it and get an ibanez. check out http://www.elderly.com, they take trade-ins and last time i looked they had a couple of ibee's for sale. i prefer humbuckers.
:rolleyes:
# 13
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
03/25/2001 3:13 am
Ok the real reason i want to get rid of my washburn (not really get rid off) but when i stand up with the strap on its really diificult to play things on the low e and a string because my thumb is pressed pretty far back and only feel comfortable in soloing with the guitar, i Hvae a gibson les paul standard double cut plus as well is another fernandes vertigo, and When the music store sold me the washburn on the floyd rose were the whammy bar screws in was like, cut off, it sticks out (like a nut for the whammy bar to screw into) and its cut off, I jsut realized this was a problem to my playing because when I have the whammy bar in the guitar and turn it 180 degrees the floyd rose tightens and gets a little out of tune. The guy said I'd need to probley order a whole new floyd rose hardware, RIP-OFF
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.