Band name, copyright issue....

HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
01/14/2005 9:33 pm
Does anyone know if it violate's any kind of copyright law if a band is named after a character in a movie????? Like Beufort T. Justice (from Smokey And The Bandit.)
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 1
hammetthead13
hammetthead13
01/15/2005 7:12 pm
i don't think it does, but i may be wrong. isn't Marilyn Manson a combination of marilyn monroe and charles manson?
My amp is a weapon of mas DISTORTION!!!!
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/15/2005 7:37 pm
Originally Posted by: JFRICKDoes anyone know if it violate's any kind of copyright law if a band is named after a character in a movie????? Like Beufort T. Justice (from Smokey And The Bandit.)
[font=trebuchet ms]Oh yeah - big time! :eek:

There's no copywright on Maryilyn and none on Manson, so that one worked out, but taking the full name of a movie character puts you squarely in the sights of a big studio's copywright lawyers. Your estimated lifespan = about 5 minutes past the time they notice you![/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
juggernaut
juggernaut
01/16/2005 8:03 am
A few years back I would have said no problem but the internet killed all of that. Once people started using famous peoples names as domain names they (famous people) started to copywrite their names. Could become and issue that would get way to costly. Now if you got famous on someones name they would prob love you for the free press and never do anything, but before that who the heck knows. By the way JF thanks for the link you posted a few months back on the Clutch video. I was a major fan of them about 6 years back but slowly lost touch as to what they were doing and I got old and never bothered to get the update. I had this bad feeling they broke up it's nice to see a band like them still around doing it the way they want for the music and not the $$$. Nice to hear they still have the that heavy sound. Now I guess its time to get scared again from all the nuts running drunk at one of the shows. As for a band name I was always in love with "Viva la vulva"
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.