About Site Changes

Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
01/11/2005 11:41 pm
A lot of people have been commenting on the recent site changes. Some positive, some negative. We have been running this site since 1997, and this is the second most major change we have ever had (the most major was when it went from being "Jon's guitar lessons" to have multiple instructors around late 1998). We put a lot of thought into the changes we made, and I thought you might like to know what the issues were and how we addressed them.

ISSUES PRIOR TO THE CHANGE

Instructors wanted to be able to do more - video files, bigger files, more files per page, more jams, etc. We couldn't allow this on the banner ad budget.

The amount of popups we had to run was embarrassing - people complained about this to me all the time.

Users could only get 5 lessons per day - people complained about this to me all the time.

We needed the help of a professional designer.

Somebody needed to put some hard work into reprogramming the site, particularly the search features.

We had about 4000 low quality "lessons" in our database that needed to be removed.

The jam section was lame and outdated, and hard to update.

CURRENT SITUATION

Instructors can now upload 2 MB mp3s, 2 MB videos, and unlimited jams.

Fewer popups for everybody. High Bandwidth members see no banners and no popups, and free members see much fewer than they used to.

We removed the 5 lesson per day restriction from all users.

We have a professional design, not some thing I threw together.

We have what I hope is the easiest search drilldown tools on any guitar site.

We got rid of the majority of the weak database entries, and are working on getting rid of the rest, so it is easy to find the best lessons.

If you haven't checked out the new jam section, check it out. It is very expandable and very usable.

Today, when I look at my site, that i have worked on for 8 years, I am really proud of it. Which I haven't been able to say for several years.

So far the response to high bandwidth membership has been quite good. I think lots of people are sick of popups and expecting advertising to pay for things. Also, a lot of members are tired of the 5 files per day rule and are ready to get down to learning some guitar.

Even if you don't want to subscribe, there are still over 100 free lessons, two on each page (two for each style, two for each instructor, two for each inspiration page, etc). This more free lessons than most guitar sites have, and more lessons than several pay sites will sell you for $20. So please check it out before you decide it isn't enough.

Thanks for listening.

Jon

By the way, how is the flash tab working for you? Are you have tech difficulties with it? Do you like it? I would really like to know.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
Meta
Meta
01/13/2005 3:37 am
it works great..its just im sad that i cant even afford a measly 5$ a month so im quitting GT =( no point in tabs you cant hear the song to
|/- :eek: Zeeky Boogy Doog :eek: -\|
< - (o .0) - >
# 2
Amadhunter
Full Access
Amadhunter
Full Access
01/13/2005 5:45 am
Jon, I've just joined the high bandwidth membership. I'm really impressed with the site. Great job!
I have one request though, get more blues oriented jam trax. :) You've only got the one that I can see, if I'm missing something, please forgive me, and show me where to find more. The one's you have for the other styles are fantastic. I love sittin here playin along, but some are short of having any variaty within the style.
I hope to contribute, and gain, from your fantastic site for a long time. If there's anything I can do to help, just lemme know. :)
Thank You,
Darren (Amadhunter)
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/13/2005 5:55 am
They're coming. We have to write out lessons for each Jam so be patient.
I'll be adding Jams every few days in just about all the styles so keep checking.
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/13/2005 12:20 pm
I have one in the post also
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5

01/13/2005 1:44 pm
I'll be making more also. The one I've posted are dated, still fine for jam but a little dated.

I'll concentrate on acoustic/easier jams since members have been resquesting me some for a long time.
# 6
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
01/13/2005 5:02 pm
Originally Posted by: AmadhunterJon, I've just joined the high bandwidth membership. I'm really impressed with the site. Great job!
I have one request though, get more blues oriented jam trax. :) You've only got the one that I can see, if I'm missing something, please forgive me, and show me where to find more. The one's you have for the other styles are fantastic. I love sittin here playin along, but some are short of having any varity within the style.
I hope to contribute, and gain, from your fantastic site for a long time. If there's anything I can do to help, just lemme know. :)
Thank You,
Darren (Amadhunter)

Thanks! Can I quote you on the sign up page?
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
konman
konman
01/13/2005 10:41 pm
I believe some of us, who are not ready to get a paid membership, will be glad to show support to this web site by purchasing logoed merchandize like caps (or call them "hats"), t-shirts, polo shirts, guitar picks, etc.
# 8
Amadhunter
Full Access
Amadhunter
Full Access
01/14/2005 5:30 am
Originally Posted by: Jon BroderickThanks! Can I quote you on the sign up page?

Sure, I feel that anything I post here automatically becomes public property, or the property of the owners of the site. :)
I do appreciate you asking though, really cool. :)
# 9
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
01/15/2005 2:11 am
Originally Posted by: konmanI believe some of us, who are not ready to get a paid membership, will be glad to show support to this web site by purchasing logoed merchandize like caps (or call them "hats"), t-shirts, polo shirts, guitar picks, etc.

There was a guy who was auctioning off space on his forehead for corporate slogan tatoos. Maybe we can do something like that?
# 10
konman
konman
01/15/2005 2:19 am
I do not think that fellow had too much space there.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.