Psycotron solo

loner92
loner92
08/05/2000 7:34 am
Does ayone know what mode the "robotic-sounding" outro solo to "Psycotron" (Megadeth- Countdown to Extenction) is in? It's very bizzare sounding. There are a lot of exotic sounding solos on that album.

[This message has been edited by loner92 (edited 08-08-2000).]

# 1
josh_underwood
josh_underwood
08/17/2000 6:28 pm
sorry dude. i love that song but i dont know.
He's totaly Mad,Crazy,Loony Toony And Even Offty Mc.Goofty!!.... I LIKE HIM!!!!!

-------------------------
Have You Been Drinking??
Yes I Have, Ive Been Drinking From the Well Of Eternal Sadness.
ART THOU BETRAYING THE????!!! THY WILL PAYUS THY ULTIMATE PRICEUS!!! FOR THOU ARE THE GUITARUS WIZARDUS!!!!!
# 2
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/17/2000 10:34 pm
I could figure it out if I had the music. Do you know where to get the mp3 or could you send me a clip of it in mp3 or RealAudio format?
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 3
loner92
loner92
08/18/2000 4:56 am
I don't konw where to find an MP3 of it, and I'm online via webtv, so I can't send a file. The song is on "Countdown to Extinction", it's a good album.

# 4
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/18/2000 5:07 am
I'll look for it.
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 5
josh_underwood
josh_underwood
08/26/2000 1:51 am
Here It Is ,I Recorded It From My Cd. Sorry It Took Me So Long But Im Just Now learning how to use the RA recorder. http://www.shymail.com/email/attach/shymail.com/fade_to_black/Psycotro.rm
He's totaly Mad,Crazy,Loony Toony And Even Offty Mc.Goofty!!.... I LIKE HIM!!!!!

Have You Been Drinking??
ART THOU BETRAYING THE????!!! THY WILL PAYUS THY ULTIMATE PRICEUS!!! FOR THOU ARE THE GUITARUS WIZARDUS!!!!!
# 6
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/26/2000 5:53 am
Ok. Well, in my vast inventory of non-diatonic scales and modes, this one was nowhere to be found. Which isn't to say it's uncommon, because some players 'make up' new scales or combine two or more to make a very complex one.

The root is E, which makes it easy. There are only four notes used in the solo (E, F, A#, B). Either the four notes make up the whole scales, or he just played these ones exclusively from a bigger scale which is pretty much undeterminable. But there is a third choice here. I see two sets of hidden diminished intervals - E and A#, and F and B. We could say he took two adjacent diminished arpeggios, dropped the thirds and sevenths, and combined all the notes. Confused?

The E diminished arpeggio is made up of E, G, Bb(A#), and Db(C#). The F diminished arpeggio is made up of F, Ab(G#), B, and D. These arpeggios come from either of the two 8-note scales (see my theory section - Erik Hagen). The thirds are G and Ab respectively, and the sevenths are Db and D respectively. So basically, you're left with two b5 power chords - Eb5 and Fb5 (note that the roots aren't Eb and Fb; the fifths are lowered a half step). He took those four notes, which are origianlly from different keys, and threw it all in the mixing pot. So I see it as two sets of b5 power chords a half step apart.

Maybe I took this a little far, but I pieced it together in my head much quicker. There are usually several solutions (if there is such a thing as a solution in music theory). Hell, maybe he just put on the backing riff and improvised until it sounded good. Sometimes it better not to sit down and pre-plan it theory-wise - just empty your head of all knowlegde and play until it sounds good. That is the point of music after all....isn't it?

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 7
loner92
loner92
08/26/2000 7:41 am
Thanks.

# 8
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
08/26/2000 7:20 pm
That's why I don't worry about theory that much, I just go with what sounds good. It's like Stevie Ray Vaughan used to say "If I try to think about what I'm doing I end up playing horrible,".

------------------
BadHorsie, holdin' it down like Gravity!
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 9
josh_underwood
josh_underwood
08/26/2000 11:09 pm
Ha,Ha Thats Funny. Good Ol' SRV, Shame He Died

------------------
Life is Hard......
BUT ITS EVEN HARDER IF YOUR STUPID

A Tout Le Monde
A Tout Mes Amis
Je Vous Aime
Je Dois Partir
(To All The World)
(To All My Friends)
(I Love You All)
(I Must Leave)

Have You Been Drinking??
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.