N.Y. gutarstores

progg
progg
01/06/2005 11:07 am
Alrighty then. I'm headed for New York in March from Stockholm and since stuff is like half the prize in the U.S. than in Sweden I might aswell buy home some pedals and stuff. I've been googling for stores around the Manhattan area where I'll be staying and I've only found one store that seems somewhat decent. Anyone know at least the names to others for me to check out? If you have URLs then it's even better =)

Thank you!
Don't look at me, swan!
# 1
RevMike68
RevMike68
01/07/2005 2:52 am
I live in NY and I know all the good stores as well as the ones to STAY AWAY from.

The Best are:

- Mandolin Brothers, on Staten Island, just a 15 minute free Ferry trip from Manhattan. Website is www.mandoweb.com A museum of vintage guitars and the friendliest staff in the history of music. Many famous guitarist shop there and it is not uncommon to see guys like Eric Clapton, Paul Simon and others brousing around in there.

-Matt Umanov Guitars, Bleeker Street, in Manhattan. Great deals and friendly folks. Really good vintage stuff. Talk to Marco, behind the pedal counter. He's a cool guy and knows his stuff. He will give honest advice and he won't try to sell you something you dont really want.

- Guitar Center on 14th Street Union Square. Lots of cool stuff, good prices, but a big chain and lousy service. Beware of pushy sales people.

The worst:

- Any store on 48th Street. Don't let anyone tell you any differently, they are all owned by the same people and they are all price inflating, con-artists that prey on unsuspecting people. Say no to 48th Street! Seriously, don't waste your time.
# 2
progg
progg
01/07/2005 1:35 pm
Found a couple with websites but we've decided not to go. A shame about not having to see the big city BUT.. I will spend the money on a new amp instead. I want a decent amp before any trip so I'm not sad about this =)^

I'll have these stores written down for now. Never know if I find a cheap trip later on. Thanks for the tips!
Don't look at me, swan!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.