songwriting order

slashedguitar87
slashedguitar87
01/04/2005 6:14 pm
im a new subscriber so im not sure how this works, but ill give it a try.

iv been doing some songwriting, and im not sure what order the song should be written in. is it the lyrics and melody first, and then the music, or the music and theme, and then the lyrics? iv been trying both ways and im not sure which one is better. does anybody have any tips?

thanx :)
Dont take life too seriously... you'll never get out alive :)
# 1
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
01/04/2005 11:06 pm
whatever feels best.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 2
cheezopath
cheezopath
01/06/2005 4:43 pm
A lot of people use a lot fo different orders. Some orders tend to give different results. I know a lotta peopel go chord sequence -> rest of instruments -> words (but of course, I can never think of lyrics :S),

but you will tend to get more melodic and possibly memorable songs if you start melodically, thoguh you may find the chords that fit aroudn the first melodies you wrtie will be very easy. Muck about!
# 3
slashedguitar87
slashedguitar87
01/06/2005 6:40 pm
hmm that makes alot of sense, having more melodic options when starting with the melody. ill give it a shot. thanx
Dont take life too seriously... you'll never get out alive :)
# 4
blindguardian
blindguardian
01/08/2005 4:05 pm
If I were you I would have made up amelody first... and then think of an proper subject for your lyrics...try think up a subject that fits your melody... if the song you want to make sounds dark and hard (somekind of metal) you should make dark lyrics...but I guess you already knew that :rolleyes: anyway...The best thing to do first...is making up the melody... OR!! if you made a nice piece of lyric, you should make a melody that fits the lyrics properly..............but I guess you already knew this .... sorry just trying to help ... :o ... by the way...want to see the lyrics of a song I made up? It;s called "fight for metal" .. hehe:P....
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.