how can i become a good guitarist

eusuntuncrocodi
eusuntuncrocodi
12/25/2004 6:09 pm
My guitar teacher has died recently. He had teached me for 1 year. If I study guitar on my own, will I become a good guitarist?
# 1
Cody_King
Cody_King
12/30/2004 7:17 am
One Word, Practice. thats all it takes
# 2
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
12/30/2004 11:44 am
Originally Posted by: Cody_KingOne Word, Practice. thats all it takes

This is true. Set a schedule for practice and stick to it as a minimum. My biggest problem is that during school i dont do jack squat, i wish that wasnt so and know i regret it more then anything.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/30/2004 9:22 pm
Yep, ya can definitely teach yourself. But some of that answer will have to do with what you intend to get out of your playing in the future.
If you just want to play songs and get a band going, you can probably learn most of what you need just emulating other players on your fav CD's and buying a couple of decent books.
If you want to become a pro session musician tho, you're gonna need a lot more theory and sight reading, so lessons would be more advisable.
Either way there's quite a few of us here who never took lessons. These days it's a lot easier to learn how to play cause you have the internet to get your info from. When I was in my teens all I had was a cheap Lloyds record player and a Van Halen album.
# 4
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
12/31/2004 5:39 pm
Exactly. I've been playing for 4 years without taking lessons and I've come a looooooooong way. I plan on starting to take them though once I move and get settled.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 5
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/04/2005 4:08 am
Originally Posted by: eusuntuncrocodiMy guitar teacher has died recently. He had teached me for 1 year. If I study guitar on my own, will I become a good guitarist?

Hi all,
If I can add to what's already been said- yes, practice, practice, practice. You don't say what type of music you like, but I'd say go across ALL types of music, even the kind you don't like. I took lessons briefly from Lenny Breau about 30 yrs. ago, and even tho he was a jazz guy, and I'm a blues/rock guy, he taught me some fingerpicking, and his artificial harmonics thing. I generally hate country, but the fingerpicking stuff I learned really made a difference in how I play. Either playing chords, or a lead, using a pick and fingers at the same time helped me develp my own style.

If practicing lead, I'd say using an acoustice steel string with a relatively high action will make you lots faster when you switch to electric; and use a hard pick so you're forced to play cleanly.

Side note/off topic: I've had about a 12 yr. layoff from playing, and just now am getting back into it- I dropped out of the Berklee College of Music around 1980-81 as a performance major. They forced me to pick a certain way- don't EVER let someone change your playing style if after awhile, you realize it doesn't add to your playing . I was already playing about 8 yrs. before going to Berklee, so I was set in my ways. But keep an open mind before you dismiss anything. Good luck!

This is my first post here, and I don't know if I get notified if there's a response, so I'll apologize in advance if I don't respond in a reasonable time. (I just found the subscription button.)
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 6
01/05/2005 5:40 am
Originally Posted by: eusuntuncrocodiMy guitar teacher has died recently. He had teached me for 1 year. If I study guitar on my own, will I become a good guitarist?

actully i've never had a lesson in my life and i'm not the best probaly not even
close to some of the best but i think im pretty good for someone whos never had a lesson. the internet helps alot and any books you can get but you have
to be determind and you have to practice

P.S. some of the greatist gutarists tought themselfs slash
only had like 2 lessons then tought himself youll be fine
:D
rock & roll ant muisic
its a way of life
:cool:
# 7
Elektroman
Elektroman
01/08/2005 5:35 am
As a lot of guys before me said, nothing at all replaces practice. Lessons and especially trick section on this site are a good inspiration and guide, simply to get you on your way, and the rest is simply up to your willing and motivation. If you have that, youre on your way.
One word, Practice.
# 8
dargon
dargon
01/08/2005 4:45 pm
Helloy.If you want to be the best.You must practice and love guitar,but one main quality is that you must improve tou own style.Thats all
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.