Modifying My Marshall

Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
12/17/2004 1:27 am
What can you do to a marshall to improve it? Is there any standard things a lot of people get done?
Id prefer the reverb to be stronger. Ive looked at new reverb tanks but is there anything I can do to my existing tank? Stretch the springs? :p
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/17/2004 2:41 am
You might want to look at sticking a re-verb unit into the FX loop.

It is good to remember that re verb has to go after distortion or it will sound like crap !

You might also want to look at getting some JJ audio tubes (Euro-tubes, their is a link on my instructors page). I have some for my TSL however I'm waiting till Xmas to put em in so I can make a job of it with no one home down stairs !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/17/2004 4:27 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonYou might want to look at sticking a re-verb unit into the FX loop.

It is good to remember that re verb has to go after distortion or it will sound like crap !

You might also want to look at getting some JJ audio tubes (Euro-tubes, their is a link on my instructors page). I have some for my TSL however I'm waiting till Xmas to put em in so I can make a job of it with no one home down stairs !

+1

Also, a note for changing tubes. Different preamp tubes will give you different tones as well. Plus a having your power tubes biased correctly by a knowledgable tech can help too. Some come biased a little cold from the factory to make the tubes last longer, but this hurts the tone a little too. Some bring the gain up, some bring the gain down, some make it brighter, and some make it darker. Alot depends on what kind of tone you're trying to achieve as opposed to what you've got now. Talk to Bob at eurotubes.com and tell him what you have, and what you are looking for and he can defanately get you there. Browse around his site too, lots of good info there.

I defanately agree with the good Dr. about putting a reverb unit (like a EH Holy Grail) in the effects loop. This will sound much better than the stock reverb tank. Also, adding an eq pedal can help out alot too. Plus it can be put anywhere in your signal chain to produce different effects. I'm sure there are other mods you can do to your head, but I personally don't know of any. Do some research and I'm sure you can come up with something. You might also be able to find some helpfull info at: http://www.amptone.com/
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
12/17/2004 5:17 pm
[QUOTE=Dr_simon]It is good to remember that re verb has to go after distortion or it will sound like crap ![QUOTE]

Is the reverb on my TSL 'after the distortion' ? Or is build in reverb the kind your saying will sound like crap?

Ive taken the reverb tank out. By putting that same tank now in the effect loop nistead.. will it be better?
# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/17/2004 5:33 pm
your reverb comes after the preamp (distortion)
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
12/17/2004 10:36 pm
Oh I see... so thats the good?
# 6
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/18/2004 5:48 am
Originally Posted by: Axl_RoseWhat can you do to a marshall to improve it? Is there any standard things a lot of people get done? ...
[font=trebuchet ms]Check out the Marshall forum at the Plexi Palace.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.