Stupid question re: Led Zep song, but I don't know where else to ask...

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/08/2004 2:49 pm
OK, I heard a wicked Led Zep song in a store the other day. One I had never heard before. It was a typical Page riff, something with octaves, I think (that is, it sounded like he was playing the root and the octave in the riff).

Then came the Plant singing. Can't really remember any words.

Stupidest question I've ever asked? Quite possibly. Especially since I'm not really sure how you will ever know what song I'm referring to. I can't even remember how it goes.

Anyways, maybe you could list some Led Zep songs that sort of fall into the above categories and that don't get any radio play, since I've never heard this on the radio before. If not, I'll just have to legally* download all the Led Zep albums in existence and have myself a Led Zep listening fest.

* I live in Canada, where the beer is 5% and downloading songs is "Otay!".
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/08/2004 4:00 pm
Any chance of a little more info ?
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
12/08/2004 5:15 pm
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanOK, I heard a wicked Led Zep song in a store the other day. One I had never heard before. It was a typical Page riff, something with octaves, I think (that is, it sounded like he was playing the root and the octave in the riff).

Then came the Plant singing. Can't really remember any words.

It sounds a lot like "The Immigrant Song" Since the riff for that is an F# octave...but that song gets a ton of radio play and I'm sure you've heard in before.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 3
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/08/2004 5:56 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonIt sounds a lot like "The Immigrant Song" Since the riff for that is an F# octave...but that song gets a ton of radio play and I'm sure you've heard in before.

Yeah, that and I don't like the Immigrant Song. The riff was a little less driving, but still very Page-ish.

Maybe everyone could list off some of their favourite "unknown" Led Zep songs? Ones that never get played on the radio, but are still great? Oh, and I know that the song I'm looking for is not on Led Zep I, Led Zep III or the How The West Was Won CDs, since I have all those albums.

[/sarcasm]
# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
12/08/2004 7:04 pm
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanYeah, that and I don't like the Immigrant Song.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!? :eek: :confused:

Please tell me this is some kind of sick twisted joke! :(
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 5
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/08/2004 7:32 pm
Well, I don't like the album version. The HTWWW version is pretty cool, though. The song is just a bit boring for me. Too much yelling and non-guitar soloing for me.

[/sarcasm]
# 6
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
12/08/2004 8:51 pm
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanWell, I don't like the album version. The HTWWW version is pretty cool, though. The song is just a bit boring for me. Too much yelling and non-guitar soloing for me.

Aww, but the yelling is half the fun! Nothin more entertaining than sitting in my car going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I COME FROM THE LAND OF THE ICE AND SNOW!" :D
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 7
12/08/2004 11:06 pm
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanWell, I don't like the album version. The HTWWW version is pretty cool, though. The song is just a bit boring for me. Too much yelling and non-guitar soloing for me.

i kinda agree with you it can get boring specialy if your trying to play it i still
like the song but its not one of my favs.

anyways some of my fav songs that dont get playd much are
the ocaene
you shook me
i cant quit you baby
the girl i love
what is and what should never be
rock & roll ant muisic
its a way of life
:cool:
# 8
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
12/09/2004 11:26 am
My favorite unknown Zep song is Ramble On. Is that it?
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 9
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/09/2004 2:28 pm
FOUND IT!!!

I decided that GT users don't really have any idea of what Led Zep songs were singles, so I visited Achilles Last Stand and browsed through the discography and the guitar tabs and downloaded (legally :cool:) a couple that I thought might be it, and listened to them this morning.

It was "The Wanton Song". Pretty cool song.

Oh, and these are all singles:

The Immigrant Song
The Ocean
You Shook Me
I Can't Quit You Baby
What Is and What Should Never Be
Ramble On

That means that GT users were able to identify one non-single track (The Girl I Love (She Got Long Black Wavy Hair)). That's pretty sad. Either that, or it indicates how little GT users listen to the radio. Thankfully, in Toronto we have a couple good stations, so I can listen to the radio to and from work and occasionally CDs whenever it sucks.

[/sarcasm]
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.