View post (pop vs. rock)

View thread

Joseph
Joseph
04/08/2001 5:00 am
Believe me, Ive waited...

Well, I guess the lesson that has been learned by many musicians all over the world is that (if you're going to sell out, you might as well do it all the way, just to clear up any confusion, preventing a split between record sales.) But I really don't see anything wrong with an artist trying to expand his horizons a bit, theres nothing wrong with sharing the stage with a new generation of musicians (those who are totally against the grain of what you're music stands for)as long as you don't make a habit out of it. :D Sure it just might create alot of speculation, [i]but it also shows that you arent afraid to take chances, (i'm not talking about chances to fatten up your wallets, but a chance in reaching out to a brand new generation.

Take Aerosmith for example, millions of people around the world are wonder how they have been able to stick around for so long. People speculate that it has alot to do with the fact that they have gradually added new elements into their sound, (which in some ways alot of people feel is a method of pulling the wool over their eyes. But thats far from the case, because through all of the changes, Aerosmith has hung onto to that original spark that started this group, and their original intentions have not changed. I think as long as you can still hang onto to that original core of who you, then you're doing just fine. As long as you refuse to let others define your music, then you can't go wrong.

Through the continuous attemps in repeating the same inteitry that existed in the seventies, musicians have failed miserably, and I feel it has alot to do with the fact that they have too many options when it comes to sound. Alot of musicians today would rather define their sound from pushing a few buttomns, instead of through time and effort. Most of the bands from the seventies and early eighties relied on technique, and bringing their personality to its highest level of completeness through music. But today, there are alot of music who have gotten into the business for all of the wrong reasons, where they continiously dabble with sound, instead of getting in touch with what naturally inspires them. There isn't that much honesty in the music industy today, and its safe to say that musicians all around the world have added different sounds to their style for the sake of selling for records, and provoking re-action within the majority of people. Being that they have forgotten what really makes their blood boil, and the hair stand up on the back of their necks. But to say that Aerosmith is lost is a crock of ****, because their music still has that same groove to it, whether or not their latest release is rather commercial, despite the fact that they have opened doors for a new generation of listeners, their music is still recognized what it is, and thats pure rock. And you could analyze it till your face turns blue, but when a band continues to leave their mark with time and effort, and what truly inspires them, they shouldn't be condemned.

So its fine to incorporate different sounds into your music, as long as you truly feel its the next best step, but when you're inticed by greed and what others wan't, you're destined to fail...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."