View post (pop vs. rock)

View thread

Bardsley
Bardsley
03/19/2001 2:28 am
But what qualifies you (or anyone) to say that "most new pop bands aren't doing something musically worthwhile"? I understand that I am being fairly stupid in picking a point with possibly the one person here who seems to agree with me in some way, but it is soooo easy to say something like that without thinking.
Wgat do you mean by your statement? Isn't it worthwhile that millions of people worldwide get enjoyment out of pop music? Isn't it worthwhile that performers and their songwriters are trying to reach a young audience who can't connect with the male dominated phallo centric guitar based rock music?
Now don't get me wrong, that's exactly what music I play, and listen to, but I don't feel like I have the right to suggest that other music is not "worthwhile" simply because I don't like it.
Interesting new rock music that comes out, is music that doesn't ignore the influence of pop culture, but uses it, along with any other styles that the band might be influenced by.
Are we going to continue to ignore the great new technology available to musicians, because it is used in dance clubs? Wouldn't it be a bit like shunning the piano when it was invented?
For great rock music to continue, it has to be a part of today's culturerather than ignoring it and pretending that we are still living in the 70's.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".