View post (..the first cut is the...)

View thread

RobSm
RobSm
12/04/2004 5:38 am
LOL. My Saga tele kit arrived. Time to strike a blow in the name of wannabes everywhere.

I'd read a number of articles on the Saga kits....I looked at the neck....the fingerboard looked & felt like a black streaked inner wrap of cornflakes. The neck itself didn't look or feel too bad.

The guitar attack team stripped the lot. I decided I'd go with neck & give the fingerboard the treatment.

I outlined a tele headstock as close as I could (the Saga shaping of the tuning key side is slightly different to the tele) and Hauled out my brand new coping saw & actually DID IT!!

Well...after all these years away from the woodworking shop it was not really a surprise to find I couldn't cut straight up & down. :o) There must be a 3 degree rake in some parts of the headstock. Anyway there were lots of hack marks where i was farting about trying to follow the curved outline.....but hey.. what's wood filler for?

To my astonishment with my 1/2 cut file, sandpaper & wood filler I have ended up with a smooth surface around the shaping. Unbelievable!!!

I don't have a Laser printer at home so I will make a Logo at work on Monday stick it on and lacquer the neck then.

The fingerboard . Well the shops are shut....(I live in rural NSW...) and I didn't have any Methylated spirits to clean up after the stripper and I was on a ROLL!!!..Hmm there were lighter red streaks through the black gooey fingerboard...I wonder if Rosewood stain would take...

It did & it didn't. It didn't make the slightest impression on the waxlike surface...but it DID turn the fret marker inlays purple!! LOL. That decided the colour of the body!!! DayGlo purple!!!

Stimulated by the unexpected I thought 'What will touch this stuff?...Try Dr Ducks Axe Wax". The stuf explodes out of the bottle when you click the top to open. But it did do something to the mysterious coating. The fingerboard now looks and feels like wood and is a number of shade lighter. So while the second application of Dr Duck sinks in a bit I'm getting afternoon 1 down for the amusement of all.

I will soon decide whether to strip & stain the fingerboard or go with it. (Why create work?)

No planning..no discipline...well that's not true. I have the gumption to keep my top end Warmoth parts & Callaham hardware well out of my reach until this SAGA is over.

Thanks if you read this. I couldn't help myself. LOL

RobSm
Robbo