View post (Squier strats?)

View thread

JUSTSOMEGUY
JUSTSOMEGUY
12/05/2004 1:16 pm
Originally Posted by: PonyOnemediocre gear will not help you progress, ultimately... not that you need to get a $2500 Les Paul to start with, but, a $100 guitar is a $100 guitar.

Squiers can run the gamut, like pretty much any other guitar, in terms of sound and quality but that said, most of the Squiers I've played sound like crap and seem to have lots of electronics problems after a fairly short period of time; not really a problem if you're handy with a soldering iron but still a pain in the ass.

IMHO i'd look at something by Epi, or, if you're in the UK, an Aria is an excellent choice for a cheapish guitar (they're more common in the UK than the US). And yes like Ham said, hit up the pawn shops and used music stores... you'll probably get a better guitar for less $$$.

And really quick, many of the guitars on the Ebay page you linked are not real SG's, but cheap Korean/Chinese knockoffs that are of indeterminate quality. I'd stay away. And the real Gibson ones that are up are in many cases still a few days away from the auction ending... that 250 pounds will probably be up to 750-1500 before it's closed. in the US a vintage SG in good shape can run $650-10,000 depending on the specifics. my first electric was an Epi SG and while it did its job the neck joint cracked and tuning stability generally isn't as good as on other guitars.

ok............ Ill check out pawn shops