solos

Kutzki
Kutzki
12/02/2004 3:39 am
Hey guys, sup.
I have been listening to, or even studying if you will, alot of halen lately, eddie van halen that is, and he actually uses tapping and harmonics and everything in his solos. I am a huge fan of his solos cus they really fit his songs, but some people think he sounds even off at times but i love his solos. And I was wondering how do, I, in my own solos , tap and put in harmonics. Like i can do pinch harmonics and I even have a couple riffs written out with it but not like in my solo thou and the same thing goes for tapping.
Anyone got any suggestions it would be great to hear from you. I am all ears. :D
Thanks Guys
When it comes down to it, our guitar's will always be there for us. :rolleyes:
# 1
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
12/02/2004 4:24 am
You can pinch any note in your solo.They are most effective at the end of a run(a long or short ascending/descending scale/pattern)with vibrato.
Tapping can be a launch/ending to your solo,create a melodie within it and tap scales.

the above is very vague...just continue to practice and apply them when it fits...you dont have to force a technique for the sake of it.

good luck :)
Try once,fail twice...
# 2
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
12/02/2004 4:14 pm
If you want to put a pinch harmonic and fit into scale , count a hypothetical 24 frets above the note your fretting ... This will give the same note a couple of octaves higher , it's a 100% safe choice.
Other harmonics spots may work well to , but it's usualy trial and error , till you find something that sound nice ... It's a matter of experience , when you get used to it , you'll do it without even thinking.

As for tapping , usualy it starts within the scale on one string, and sometimes EVH just copies the same pattern to other strings , which is out-of-scale of course.
Anyway , you should have a few tap lines in your pocket to use whenever you want , like min/maj arpeggios that fits over their relative chords , or pentatonic lines.
# 3
Kutzki
Kutzki
12/03/2004 5:18 am
thanks guys i am sorta getting the tapping thing and the harmonics ya i didnt mean just plain old pinch harmonics i mean when halen like sweep picks them! or whatever he does to get some of those nut sounds he gets but thanks i am worken on the tapping thing for now
# 4
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
12/03/2004 2:22 pm
Originally Posted by: Kutzki and the harmonics ya i didnt mean just plain old pinch harmonics i mean when halen like sweep picks them!

Sweep picking pinch harmonics ? :confused: That's too odd to even think about.
I think you mean when you rake natural harmonics ... It's just like doing natural harmonics , but if you want to execute them very fast on a few strings , use the one direction sweep picking motion ... That's so easy, and doesn't need explanation.

May be you could get better help if you mentioned a specific solo.
# 5
ChromeBeast
ChromeBeast
12/04/2004 1:05 am
Good luck with this. lol

Eddie is really unique. I have been playing for 20 years, and at one time I tried to learn VH, but his finger span is insane. I have small hands, like Randy Rhodes.

In all my years, I have never heard anyone that phrases like he does. I even bought a video of some dude that was supposed to teach you to play like Eddie. Even this guy wasn't close.

Having said that, I do incorporate tapping and pinches in my solos. I take pieces of other solos I like, learn them, record a short chord progression of my own, transpose those licks into the key of my progression that jam over top of that progression. Then I add my own "flavor" to it. That's how I learned and still do it, and I have never been told I sound like anyone else.

Chrome.
# 6
Kutzki
Kutzki
12/06/2004 4:01 am
ya i dont wana copy halen just i wana study why he is so unique and why is solos are so damn good!
hhaha
k later
# 7
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
12/06/2004 10:16 pm
Originally Posted by: Kutzki...why he is so unique and why is solos are so damn good!

I think that was something he was born with !
That's why EVH solos sound good while Kerry King's solos suck , and they both go out of key oftenly ... I know that was a stupid comparison , but you get the point.
# 8
Kutzki
Kutzki
12/07/2004 3:04 am
Originally Posted by: SLYSweep picking pinch harmonics ? :confused: That's too odd to even think about.
I think you mean when you rake natural harmonics ... It's just like doing natural harmonics , but if you want to execute them very fast on a few strings , use the one direction sweep picking motion ... That's so easy, and doesn't need explanation.

May be you could get better help if you mentioned a specific solo.

ya i think it does need explaination man cus i dono how to rake natural harmonics either
so ya fill me in here SLY
thanks
# 9
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
12/08/2004 12:04 am
To rake natural harmonics just place your fretting hand on the harmonic spots , and rake with the picking hand.

An example:

e-5----------5-
b--5--------5--
g---5------5---
D----5----5----
The first part are all upstrokes , and the second part is all dowsntrokes.
All are natural harmonics of course , you can do them from any harmonic spot of course , even unusal frets like 3rd , 2.5 or whatever you want.

If you listen to Joe Satriani , try playing "Up in the Sky" ... The intro is a very good exercise on that harmonic raking technique.
# 10
Kutzki
Kutzki
12/08/2004 6:45 pm
k man thanks i am gonna try that song
later
and thanks again to all of the replize
they all helped
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.