View post (Dime A Dozen)

View thread

Spynal
Spynal
12/02/2004 1:53 am
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartMy last band I had...I was a neseccity and not expendable.My bandmates knew they could never find a replacment for me because no one could bring ideas to the table like I could(or play the riffs the same way).I was the ONLY thing keeping them from being a mere wannabe sucky punk band because I and the drummer were the main talent(drummer was incredible).The band didn't go anywhere because I moved.......

I've got news for you ... you're NEVER a necessity, not unless your name is the band name .... i.e. the Jimi Hendrix Experience have no necessity other than Jimi.... or you're the sole mastermind of the project ... i.e. Galder of Old Man's Child and Quorthon of Bathory. This sort of egotistic, self-pumping thinking is not the way to view it. To say you were the only thing keeping your band above an average level is pathetic, and i would spit on you if i could. As you just discovered, there's always someone better out there, and if you're not careful he'll steal your spot for looking like a jerk.

That said, Alot of musicianship is, as was said, attitude. Friendly people are better to work with than self-absorbed slobs. Your personality will help you get gigs as much as your playing. If i need to find a fill-in bassist for a show, I'm callign up friends before i look anywhere else? Why? Because i know these people, and know i work well with them. The truly great guitarists that flounder into anonymity in the udnerground do so because they're either horrible to work with or they don't have the drive to make a career out of music. Learning guitar is the easy part, making it a lifestyle is a whole 'nother story.