Derek Trucks Band

Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
03/11/2001 7:50 am

Anyone ever heard of the Derek Trucks Band? I saw these guys in concert a while ago, and they were great. What albums do they have out and what's their story?
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
03/29/2001 8:36 am
Don't tell me know one's heard of this band! Come on . . . they were touring with Eric Johnson!
# 2
Bofatron
Bofatron
03/29/2001 4:16 pm
Well, I've heard of him and even seen him in concert. He opened for John Scofield last year in Lawrence KS. I think the guy has a lot of potential. However, his band seems, to me, to be a mill stone around his neck -- he does not seem to have any leadership ability (watching Sco direct a quartet, on the other hand, is a total education so maybe he learned something from him). T's drummer is overbearing and nearly beat his kit to pieces and acted like a bafoon all night -- which sorta left DT in the lurch. He has zero stage presence (a shoe gazer), his blues chops are good but his attempts to play some fusion lines were really corny in my opinion: literally, "here's my RTF lick and here's my JM lick, (although, at least he's trying to get some interesting lines in there) .... And then when he came back out to play a little with Sco, he was just burned by the master. They were "trading licks" (Sco and DT) and Trucks was just this little mouse up there, Sco goes over and cranks his Boogie, hits the Rat, and just got all up in his face and literally pushed him off to one corner of the stage. I'm happy to report that DT did, when pushed, come back with his best playing of the night...it seems that Sco knew that if he pushed this kid, he'd unleash and respond with some good playing. So, a lot of what I saw was unimpressive but at least at the end he showed us what he is capable of. He's just a young guy and in another 10 years or so he might very well be the monster player I think he could be. So I expect good things from him in the future. I've not heard any of his albums but I bet if he gets comfortable or inspired in the studio his playing probably kills. Oh, and his sound was pretty big too: SG into a Fender Tone King.

Just my $0.02 ;-)

# 3
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
03/29/2001 6:16 pm

Yeah, he has no stage presence what-so-ever. During the concert he looked up at the crowd once and smiled. The rest of the time he was staring at the floor.

It wasn't DT that I was really impressed with, although he did have some good licks. It was the bass player and pianist who mostly held my attention while waiting for Eric to come out.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.