GNX4 and recording drums

chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
11/22/2004 1:33 am
I got a GNX$..I mean GNX4 and well...

This is probably a common computer recording hassle,but is there an easier way of making midi drum beats than using the mouse to select each individual note?
Its EXTREMLEY time consuming to point and click a whole songs drum track(even when using cut and paste).

Also,When I arm an audio track to record I get a 'flat line' sound.It goes away if I turn the treble down on my amp...oh and I get a slight shock from my guitar.It only shocks the underside of my arm when letting off or on palm-muting,but never my left hand(probly due to calouses).My stuff is grounded...can't figure it out.
Try once,fail twice...
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/22/2004 1:41 am
Yep you can use midi to make drum loops, I have done it in Sonar, so I imagine you can do it in cubase or what ever is bundles with the GNX4.

Can you get rid of the noise with a gate program ? There is bound to be a noise suppressor built into the the GNX4, just turn the threshold down a bit so it kicks in when you are not playing anything.

As far as the shocking is concerned, Id have that checked out as it is not good. if all your stuff is grounded you may want to check the ground on the plug with a line tester. One of these little gizmo's can save your life. If you are playing gigs regularly, they are a very good idea to carry round with you !!!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
11/22/2004 2:29 am
I know I can make loops,but I need an efficient way to make the drum track aside from using the mouse...its just way too slow.I'm running pro tracks plus software.Ive seen midi controller keyboards and such...would something like that let me use keys to make the beats or something?

Also,the 'flat line' hum only occurs when the track is armed to record...its not the normal hum feedback.

And I can't seem to 'level' the volume of what I hear myself playing and what comes back to me(the recorded track)...so when windows makes its 'DONK" sound,it shakes the house.

Man they need to make a newb recording clinic at the local sam ash.
Try once,fail twice...
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/22/2004 12:55 pm
I have a set of drum midi controllers, check out the Yamaha DTExpress II !

http://www.8thstreet.com/prod.asp?pid=3100

the cymbals always sound over compressed but other than that it is great !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.