Jazz chords

bitterblues01
bitterblues01
10/30/2004 6:54 pm
How do you make a 13th chord and 9th chord, and a 6th chord?

Help anyone?
Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do, crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see
# 1
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/01/2004 2:48 am
a 13th chord, in a classically standard sense, is root, third, fifth, seventh, ninth, eleventh, thirteenth

most jazz we hear (especially guitarists chords) omit the eleventh, fifth and sometimes the ninth, so u will have root, third, seventh, (ninth) and thirteenth

a ninth chord is root, third, fifth, seventh, ninth, but often here u omit the fifth

a sixth chord is root, third, fifth and sixth, and sometimes u will omit the fifth here.

Jazz chords, especially the guitarists' chords, don't like to make the fifth a note of dominant force.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 2
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
11/02/2004 2:04 pm
Modernly, alot of times when the 13th chord is played and the 11th is there too. It is sharp. Looks like this Cmaj13(#11). To me it doesn't sound quite as dull, or vanilla sounding as the regular 13th. In this case I usually ommit the 7th (esp in the maj and m versions), and then use the D7 chord that exists within the chord as a pedal, while playing the regular C major chord somewhere over the D7 pedal. Or vice versa.

Another version where this chord comes into good use, is having one hand play a steady rhythm of one of the chord in broken form. While the other hand stomps out the other chord. On guitar you could have one guy just pick a C major chord, and you hit a D7 chord.

It's great for the use of modulation as well. Here's an example.

1h| Cmaj . . . | % . . . | % . . . | % . . . | Gmaj . . . |
2h| Cmaj . . . | Em . . . | Am . . . | D7 . . . | Gmaj . . | and so on...

Here the 1h underlines the key center, while the 2h plays a harmoney based around that key center. You could continue this with G maj also to create a modulation sequence.
Or if you don't want to ommit the seventh, you can play a Bm7 chord instead of D7.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 3
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/02/2004 11:54 pm
Ya... listen to noticingthemistake to... You can't go wrong there!
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.