few question

joe scalene
joe scalene
10/29/2004 2:18 am
I just want to ask about the basic concept of a metal slide...
pls show some example 2.

Another thing

i have been searching the web for the basic concept of jazz. And I have not found any because it is either a pay site or lacking so if any here would like to help me pls send some info

thanks!
# 1
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
10/31/2004 3:17 am
Originally Posted by: joe scalenei have been searching the web for the basic concept of jazz. And I have not found any because it is either a pay site or lacking so if any here would like to help me pls send some info

thanks!

buy some charlie parker, chick corea, charlie christian, miles davis, and wes montgomery....listen and figure it out.

either that or find an old jazz cat with awesome chops to take you in and jam with him.

those two methods are the essentials of jazz....how most of the greats did it.

jazz is one of those things where while it's very complex musically....it's more about the sound and figuring out your own voice through the voices of those before you...basically, if it sounds cool, do it. that's the essense of jazz.

that and maybe coke.....but i think that was more because parker was obsessed with staying up all hours practicing (the man spent 15 hours at a time practicing!).
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 2
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/01/2004 2:54 am
Originally Posted by: joe scalene
i have been searching the web for the basic concept of jazz. And I have not found any because it is either a pay site or lacking so if any here would like to help me pls send some info

I think Louis Armstrong once said, "If you have to ask what jazz is, well then you'll never know."

I reccomend going through the ages, look in your local bookstore for a timeline of jazz greats, and pick up a few albums. Most will be revealed just by LISTENING!

Jazz is defined by a few things - The "Swing Factor" of the eigth notes, having IMPROVISATION and something else, but i forget what that is... It's very hard to define.

Pick up a jamey abersold book, they're really good at teaching how to play from lead sheets and begin to improv.

Alright, I gtg. Good luck to you, jazz is not like shred: Just sitting there playing the same thing hours on end till its perfect isn't going to help you, u gotta do that, plus dig deeper and find melody, harmony, and how to navigate the changes.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 3
joe scalene
joe scalene
11/02/2004 12:58 am
thanks a lot. started to get some idea bout it...
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.