View post (???)

View thread

finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
10/15/2004 11:06 pm
The second video clip actually isn't gimmicky at all. Why? I'll let you in on a little secret (which should actually be quite obvious). That guitarist is blind. That's right, he can't see a thing. That's the only way he knows how to play is over-the-top technique....which is actually not unusual, if you're familiar with Jeff Healy (who is also blind and uses the same technique). I suppose it's more comfortable for blind people to play that way. Since they can't see a thing, I would make an educated guess that it is easier to determine your fret board positioning with that technique as opposed to traditional technique. There you have it. That's why I'd argue that there is no gimmick involved. It is his standard method of playing. Or to put it another way, he's not trying to impress you with over-the-top technique; that's normal for him. He's trying to impress you with his actual guitar playing.

Akira: That is why the player looked 'gormless' and 'moved around like he crapped himself'. You should think before you say such rude things. I might be blind. ;)