Great solos

zepp_rules
zepp_rules
03/06/2001 1:08 am
What is your opinion of the top 5 greatest guitar solos ever?
Mine are:

1. Led Zeppelin---Stariway Solo
2. EVH---Eruption
3. Jimi Hendrix---Star Spangled Banner
4. Clapton---:Layla
5. Eric Johnson---Cliffs of Dover
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 1
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
03/06/2001 8:28 am
1) Since i've been loving you / led zeppelin
2) Lazy / Deep Purple
3) Why didn't rosemary? Deep purple
4) April / Deep Purple
5) Stairway / rock'n'roll solos / Led Zeppelin
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 2
Fender Man
Fender Man
03/13/2001 11:03 pm
#1-Hendrix-Machine Gun
#2-Black Sabbath-War Pigs
#3-Anything by Jimi Hendrix
#4-Anything by Zeppelin
#5-Guns n' Roses-Paradise City
"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 3
howie50
howie50
03/14/2001 8:31 pm
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird - Corny but it's what you're car
stereo was made for.

Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love - The first rock album I ever bought, it got me into the blues too.

The Clash - Complete Control - Full of venom, angst and gut wrenching anger.

Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile - Perfect tone, perfect phrasing, ghitar heaven it does not get better than this.

Freddie King - Have You Ever Loved A Woman ? - The master, blues on a stick !

Have I got to stop now ? How abou the top 500 !

It takes 3 chords, 2 fingers and one asshole to play rock'n'roll
# 4
Fender Man
Fender Man
03/20/2001 9:11 pm
How could I forget about free bird, that is one great solo. i love skynyrd. let me think of some other great solos. guns 'n roses-sweet child of mine, ozzy(randy rhoads)-crazy train, yngwie-a lot of his stuff, cream-white room, queen-we will rock you, srv-any of his stuff, hendrix-foxey lady
-Jimi Hendrix
# 5
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
03/23/2001 11:35 pm
Tecnically Free Bird is a duel. Ive made that mistake before and been corrected so

Shadows - Apache
Led Zep - Stairway/Whole Lotta Love/Dazed And Confused
Jimmy page - I Cant Quit You baby
Eagles - Hotel California
Ram Jam - Black Betty
Gary Moore - Still In Love With You (Thin Lizzy Live and Dangerous)
Thin Lizzy - Whisky In The Jar
Queen - Good Old fashioned Lover boy
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 6
Fender Man
Fender Man
03/24/2001 2:15 am
I don't care if Lynyrd Skynyrd has 50 guitarist. The end of Free Bird is awesome part in music history. Just because Skynyrd doesn't have to overdubb there stuff a million times because they have 3 guitarist, doesn't mean it isn't a guitar solo. David Gilmoure has 3 or 4 solos at the time, so does Free Bird, no difference. Most solos have another guitar part. Take Don't Cry by Guns n' Roses. There's a guy playing power chords during the solo. Does that make it any less of a solo. NO, it doesn't. Jimmy Page was one of the fathers of recording over guitar parts, that's why it is so hard to play Zeppelin stuff. But he still put a cool solo in his songs. Lynyrd Skynyrd should get the respect they deserve. Free Bird has an awesome solo.
-Jimi Hendrix
# 7
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
03/24/2001 10:18 pm
Calm down Im only saying. Skynyrd are one of my favourite ands anyway and Im always gettin laughed at by Korn and Nirvana fans. Very ironic if you know what I mean(look it up). Anyway Im only saying its a duel because the guitars are going are purposefully going against each other as opposed to with each other. In Hotel California theyre playing in harmony so its technically a solo.

[Edited by Led Zeppelin on 03-24-2001 at 05:22 PM]
www.gnr.com.ar
# 8
Fender Man
Fender Man
03/26/2001 8:50 pm
Yo Led Zeppelin,
I see what you're saying. But I can't quite figure out why Korn and Nirvana fans laugh at you. What you mean. I'm too lazy to look it up. Catch ya later.
-Jimi Hendrix
# 9
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
03/26/2001 10:15 pm
Originally posted by Fender Man
Yo Led Zeppelin,
I see what you're saying. But I can't quite figure out why Korn and Nirvana fans laugh at you. What you mean. I'm too lazy to look it up. Catch ya later.

They laugh at me because Im one of the few Skynyrd fans around maybe because they dont like Skynyrd, maybe because they are afraid of songs containing a hint of a melody line of any sort or maybe just because they are all gay. Normally these grunge/ metal heads are pretty sound in a depressing way but some just have a grudge against anything made before Guns n Roses came along. Dont get me wrong Im a Guns N Roses fan too but you know what I mean.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 10
Fender Man
Fender Man
03/26/2001 10:23 pm
Led Zeppelin, I see what you're saying, I'm a huge Skynyrd fan, too. Well, I get in a lot of arguments with Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, fans too. And as Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day once said, "I don't get the whole rap/metal thing. I don't get it and I don't want to get it." Wise words.
-Jimi Hendrix
# 11
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
03/30/2001 9:42 pm
Originally posted by Fender Man
Led Zeppelin, I see what you're saying, I'm a huge Skynyrd fan, too. Well, I get in a lot of arguments with Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, fans too. And as Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day once said, "I don't get the whole rap/metal thing. I don't get it and I don't want to get it." Wise words.

Very wise. Its the rapmetal (Nu metal I think its called - Nu instead of New - isnt that gay) ****s that are into stuff like Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach and all this **** that annoy me. They give you abuse because apparently Im a hippy because I like 60/70/80's stuff but when I point out that theyre weirdo perv nerds that spend all day looking at animal **** on the internet theyre attitude changes and they start looking for better insults (tuck in your shirt is the most insulting Ive got so far) and fail. The guitarist in Limp Bizkit is very good actually - pity that fat ****s taking all the glory.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 12
Code_Monk
Code_Monk
03/31/2001 2:26 am
Alex Lifeson - 2112. Several great guitar solos in that one. Alex Lifeson is my all time favorite guitarist (yeah I know, thats in a different thread :)). I used to spend many long nights playing along (or trying to :)), with that album till the sun came up.
Eric Clapton - Cocaine.
Joe Perry - Train Kept a rollin'.
Randy Rhoads - Diary Of A Madman(live). Sounds kinda like he is playing off key in a few spots but I think he pulls it off very well.
Mathias Jabs(sp?) - Rock You Like A Hurricane. It flashy and fast.

Ok...gotta add this one:
Freebird - No matter where I have lived in the last
20 years or so, the local classic rock radio station always has their top 100 (or top 1000) rock songs of all time. Freebird has always made it to the top ten. Most of the time
its in the top 3. A few times Freebird and Stairway To Heaven have swapped the top spot from one year to the next.

[Edited by Code_Monk on 03-30-2001 at 09:35 PM]
# 13
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/02/2001 7:48 pm
Led Zeppelin, Some people are so aggervating. If I here someone say it is 2001 one more time, I'm going to blow up. People tell me, quit living in the past. I hate today's music. I know this nu metal stuff. It's like, let's bang on instruments and let me sing like I'm choking on a spark plug. Yngwie Malmsteen was asked what do you think metal fans today will think of your new album "War to End all Wars" (I've got it, good cd). anyway, he said, I'll think they like it, because the only difference, is that my lead singer and their lead singer, is that my lead singer doesn't sound like he is choking on a spark plug.
-Jimi Hendrix
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.