Stopped playing Guitar?

The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/09/2004 3:11 am
There was a time, not too long ago, where i almost gave up. I was a pretty good guitarist (better than every one else i knew, or so i thought), and i knew every randy rhoads solo, note for note. But then I got an Yngwie Malsteen DVD.

I was just like, "I can't play that..." I immediately became immersed in shred... and gave myself hellish workouts trying to master shred licks. It wasn't fun anymore. I wanted to quit. And then I heard some jazz.. i don't know where from... I realized my problem... I didn't really even like shred! I experimented, and decided to listen to an Yngwie Cd, all the way through. I couldn't. My head started throbbing, and I became sick of it. I did the same for John Petrucci. Same thing happened. Then I went to Charlie Parker. The playing was still just as insane, but I could've listened for days on end.

So I got into jazz, and I love every minute of it. Don't worry about it. Especially don't worry about it if you used to practice tons (I don't know how much you used to play), because that's the kind of thing that can drive you away.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 1
Paul_20
Paul_20
10/10/2004 4:23 am
I started playing guitar in Grade 7 my english teacher had one and he would play it a bit during class he shown and taught some of the other kids how to play and i wanted to too he shown me all the basic chords and stuff and i could play it better then every one else thats what got me started but i couldnt afford one so i just played around on it in class or at lunch just playing chords and stuff really didnt know anything.

Then a year later at christmas if i remember my parents bought me a accoustic i liked it but i felt bad but i wanted a electric guitar so i took that back and bought one it was a yamaha cant remember wich type it was red i played around on that not much and one day i got really mad i dont remember why i think it was at my mom and i smashed my guitar i didnt care cause i didnt play it alot.

then i think 2 years later i wanted to play again i really wanted to play my mom saved my guitar holder and case cause she said she knew i would buy another one , i just had alot of anger when i was younger.

I bought a Yamaha Pacifica its white i like it and i played around for a year or so then i just didnt feel like playing i took all my strings off of it and stopped playing for 2 years and now a month ago i just got strings and started playing again.

I want to play the guitar and be good but i just have no motivation and lazy i try but i just stop after i cant do something im trying to learn. But im playing it after day now and i bought a new Chord Jack for my guitar and it sounds way better i had a cheap crappy one the chord looked like a string lol.
# 2
VintageReaper
VintageReaper
10/10/2004 6:22 am
I started playing back when I was about... 13 I guess, had an old Epiphone Fender Strat lookalike. I slacked off alot, played it maybe once a month. Then when I was 16 I decided it was time to actually get into it. I didn't really know anything as far as guitar went, maybe a few basic chords at most. Had terrible technique, and switched notes like a robot. Solos had no flow, and really.. just sounded awful. Then I took up learning Kirk Hammet's style. Then I obtained my second guitar, a 24 fret ESP M series. With the help of a guitarist friend of mine I went from noobish to playing things that people I know that have been playing a decade can't pull off.

And here I am today, still trying to be better than I am. :P
You're an inspiration for birth control. - Duke Nukem.
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/10/2004 5:34 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]Back in '68, when I bought my first guitar, I played every possible minute of every day.

I played when I first woke up.
I played after I got home from my morning paper route.
I played before I went to school.
I played when I came home for lunch.
I played when I came home from school.
I played before doing my homework.
I played instead of doing my homework.
I played until bedtime. I played after bedtime.
I played until my fingers bled.
I played until I had calouses over blood blisters on my fingertips.......

36 years later, I play maybe 8 hours a week, but I still love it! [/font] :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
AIC
AIC
10/10/2004 9:19 pm
I started playing guitar at the age of 10. The first years I really didnt want to practice much (due to my young age i assume) but I always kept the guitar going a little, and now 8 years later I play more, and better guitar than ever. My advice is to keep your favorite instrument, and if the need to play turns up, then pursue the old pasion. Good luck mate.
# 5
VintageReaper
VintageReaper
10/10/2004 10:00 pm
Dude, Lord. That is hardcore man. Rock on. :cool:
You're an inspiration for birth control. - Duke Nukem.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.