on going problem

rob b.
rob b.
10/05/2004 6:52 pm
I bought a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL (100 watt) a couple of years ago. A friend was selling it really cheap (probably so he could get high.) I love the amp, but.... I have a major problem with the footswitch. It will switch from channel 1 (clean) to channel 2 (distortion.) The amp also has the capabilities to switch between (for example) channel 1 A/ and Channel 1 B, and so on for Channel 2. Except this has never worked, I opened up the footswitch, everything looks good. Is there a chance that the problem is with the wiring in the amp itself? I don't feel brave enough to perform open heart surgery with a blindfold on. Let me know what you guys think.

And yes I know, I could take it to a tech and have him look at it... but I've gotten along with it like this for a long time, I was just wondering if there was quick fix that I could do myself, or if anyone else has experienced this sort of problem.

Thanks
"It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself." ~ J.S. Bach
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/05/2004 7:34 pm
Unless it's a special switch, I though the DSL would only switch between the 2 channels, and not the variations of the 2.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
rob b.
rob b.
10/05/2004 7:50 pm
I'm almost positive it is supposed to switch between the two, I'll have to check the Marshall website to find out for sure.
"It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself." ~ J.S. Bach
# 3
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
10/05/2004 8:09 pm
Hey Rob....I had the same problem with my footswitch on my JCM900 a couple of years ago. Well, not exactly the same problem, here is what mine did. My footswitch has a channel and a reverb switch on it...It got to where I'd push the channel button, and nothing would happen. Then I would push the reverb button and it would change the channels. I never could get any reverb with the footswitch plugged into the amp. Anyway, I took it apart, and like you, couldnt see anything wrong, so I took it to a tech and found out the cable going from the footswitch to the amp had a broken wire in it. They replaced the cable, about $35 if I remember right, and it's worked fine ever since.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 4
rob b.
rob b.
10/05/2004 8:26 pm
Thanks Joe, I may look into it, I might be able to get a new switch on ebay, or buy the cord and fix it my self. See you at practice.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.