Trem Problems

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/02/2004 2:18 pm
OK so my Jackson DKMG Dinky arrived yesterday and overall I like it. It is not a tone monster like the Strats, LPs or even the PRS however at high gain, I figure that doesn't matter too much anyway as I really want it for doing acrobatics on.

However do have a problem with the trem.

I have just swapped out the strings, no problem, I have changed from 13s to 9s and the intonation is still sweet.

However, when I tune to perfection, lock down the nut and re-tune (having stretched in my new strings) and then dive the trem...it come back to rest flat. If I raise the trem, it come to rest sharp. This is no good at all and makes me think there is a lot of stored tension somewhere in the system.

Anybody got any thoughts ?

I think the next thing I will try doing is taking it apart and giving it a really good clean with a tooth brush !

Man I really hope it is not a problem with the neck joint !!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/02/2004 2:53 pm
Just checked out the neck joint and it looks fine !

Phewwww !
# 2
IbanezmutESP
IbanezmutESP
10/02/2004 3:18 pm
Dont forget that when you change gauge of strings you have to fix the tension on the bride. Check the springs and make it even. I dont know what else it could be but i remember i did the same thing and it works fine.
=mut=
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/02/2004 3:28 pm
I have checked the tension (i.e. stopped the trem moving forward raising the action) and tweaked the intonation when I changed gage. I have 3 springs on at the moment (located into the middle 3 holes of the trem block) and I'm wondering if I should add more springs and slacken the tension on them.
# 4
SPL
SPL
10/02/2004 5:12 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonI have 3 springs on at the moment (located into the middle 3 holes of the trem block) and I'm wondering if I should add more springs and slacken the tension on them.

That will not work. If the bridge is in balance now, you have to right amount of springs/tension.

What you should do is replace the springs(this should be done regularly). Old springs tend to do exactly what you described.
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/02/2004 5:13 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simon...However, when I tune to perfection, lock down the nut and re-tune (having stretched in my new strings) and then dive the trem...it come back to rest flat. If I raise the trem, it come to rest sharp. This is no good at all and makes me think there is a lot of stored tension somewhere in the system...
[font=trebuchet ms]Does the bar return to the same position when this happens? If it stays high after pulling it up, or stays low after pressing it down, something is sticking. A small amount of light oil on the pivot may be in order. Cleaning is a good thing, too.

If the strings were slipping past the locked nut, they would be flat after pulling up on the trem bar.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/02/2004 5:21 pm
I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Soon as I get back from work Im going to strip it down, clean and oil it !

I will post the fruits of my labour !
# 7
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/03/2004 12:03 am
Ha fixed it !

The Studs that lower / raise the action were loose.

Solution, slip in a couple of washers and screw the whole thing down.

Works like a charm and has lowered my action !
# 8
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/15/2004 6:52 pm
Bloody thing has started doing it again. I will replace the springs and see what happens then.

What a pain in the ass !
# 9
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/15/2004 7:10 pm
I remember when I had an ibanez with a floyd, and I never could get the darn thing low enough. I used 10's on it and initially that made the thing stick up so high the strings were half an inch above the fretboard. Then I tighten the springs, crank down the height adjustment and put 9's back on, but the same thing! I was so mad, fustrated, and aggravated with it that I actually threw it across the room onto a carpeted concrete floor :eek: . darn thing didn't get a scratch or ding on it! :rolleyes: Next couple of day's I traded it in on a real nice Fender Am. Fat Strat. eventually the same thing happened with it's regular trem. I couldn't through it though. So, I got rid of it, and now have my PRS. Its been 3 worry free wonderfull years now, and there is no possible way I will EVER have a nother trem in any shape form or fashion! :p
And to top it all off, I alway's had both of them tuned a half step down.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 10
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/15/2004 7:30 pm
I had a Chicago series Washburn with a FR on it and went through the FR learning curve there ! What a huge pain that was. Anyway I thought Id give it another go and ......

well you know what they say about fools never learn !

The DKMG has a lovely neck however the EMG HZs are horrible, the 20 db boost thing only increases the noise floor and the trems bust !

Looks like this is going to turn into the project guitar !

I must admit, I have yet to find *ANY* guitar that even comes even close to my PRS, be it Gibson, Fender or well take your pick !
# 11
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/15/2004 8:15 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonI had a Chicago series Washburn with a FR on it and went through the FR learning curve there ! What a huge pain that was. Anyway I thought Id give it another go and ......
[font=trebuchet ma]Funny you should say that! I just finished assembling the Wasburn A-10 Stage Series Re-issue that I bought earlier this year as a basket case (some assembly required). :rolleyes:

It works well, but the action is kinda high, and I can't seem to find a way to get it lower without lots of string-buzz. My original Stage Series A-20CS string-through hardtail is a lovely piece. I am re-learning why it's been about about 25 years since I last owned a trem-equipped guitar.

I may yet decide to sell it off, but I'm not ready to admit defeat.

Well not just yet.

Not quite.

Ready yet.

Quite.[/font] :p
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 12
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/15/2004 8:18 pm
Have you added some relief to the neck by loosening the truss rod ? I know some people like to play a flat neck however I find the drop in action afforded by just a little relief can be lovely.
# 13
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/16/2004 3:08 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonHave you added some relief to the neck by loosening the truss rod ? I know some people like to play a flat neck however I find the drop in action afforded by just a little relief can be lovely.
[font=trebuchet ms]Hmm... how much is "just a little relief"? I usually set it so that there's a space roughly equal to the diameter of the low E string at the 7th fret when I fret the low E at the first and 14th. I think the neck would have to curve like a banana to keep the strings from buzzing on this sukka.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/16/2004 12:08 pm
errrrr.....when the trem doesn't return to zero !

*sound of head banging on desk*

If it were as simple as the springs being shot then, i imagine the bridge would ride up.

However, as this is such as potentially cheap and easy fix and much cheaper than the fix I fear, i.e. a new body, a news FR and whilst I'm at it some new PUs, I may give it a shot !
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.