Of sets frets ???

I Suffer
I Suffer
09/28/2004 1:37 pm
http://www.davidtanenbaum.com/graphics/photos/photogallary.jpg

I was wondering about the offset frets in resophonic guitars as i was looking at davids guitar in the above link.

how do those frets work? why they are offset? which tunings can you use?

please help me out :confused:
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/28/2004 2:03 pm
Is it to do with the way a guitar tunes up ?

You know guitars are tuned using well tempered tuning which is far from absolute i.e. everything is a little out of tune so everything can be in tune.

This could be to get everything in tune, like really in tune !

Azrael probably knows about this !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
I Suffer
I Suffer
09/28/2004 2:11 pm
Wel yeah, but im confused as to why the frets are set up like that. I'm mean thats the points of having them that way? Thats the effect, etc.
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/28/2004 2:27 pm
Im not sure I understand your question however I think the answer is to improve the way the guitar tunes up.

Beyond the Buzz Feitin tuning system !
# 4
I Suffer
I Suffer
09/28/2004 2:33 pm
haha, yeahim not the best at trying to convey what i mean.

But in the picture i provided, the frets on his guitar look really messed up, and i'm wondering how you would play on something like that, it surely can't be played like a regular fretted guitar.
# 5
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
09/28/2004 3:49 pm
Not really sure what this fellow is up to, I can't really be sure if I'm seeing frets or just some inlays, but their are two posibilites, their have been attempts to change fret angle as the frets go up the neck to improve intonation, but that doesn't appear to be the case here, the frets I can see look to be at 90 degrees to the string, Some instruments have moveable frets so that you can lay out your frets to a scale, this is kind of common in Eastern music, and also some instruments are just layed out this way, if you have ever seen what is called a mountain or Appalachian Dulcimer, you'll notice that the frets are layed out in half steps and whole steps, can't remember the exact pattern but basically a major scale, so that even a beginner can pick it up and pick out a melody,,,,, If I had to take a wild guess, noticing the fellows name, I would guess he's got a gig playing Jewish music on a Goyim instrument, but that would just be my guess...............
# 6
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
09/28/2004 3:53 pm
The truth is that we *should* have 17 notes per octave in our occidental musical system. Bach and his son always demanded a 17-key piano and there acutally are some of those where the black keys are split, but hardly anyone knows about them let alone knows how to use them. Why?

well - music nowadays is much more emotionless thanx to todays tuning (look that up in my instructos section). this is a very long story and i will write it down and share it with you some day - right now iĀ“m not realy allowed to. however...
remember that i told you once, that a good violinist will tell you that he plays an F sharp for example slightly different than a G flat? if you play classical music the way it should be played you HAVE to do it that way. an F sharp used to be a differnt note than a G flat. even the blue note did exist back then. they are not a creation of the bluesfolks as most peeps think - they have been in existance for centuries - evne the ancient greek had them! so if you want to play bachs music the way he wanted it to sound, then you have to have a copy of the ORIGINAL handwritten score and play all the sharps slightly higher and all the flats slighly lower. if you do this correctly the music REALY comes to life. a chord with those notes in it doesnt sound as "sterile" as it does with our regular tuning. it comes to life - it BURNS!

But thanks to folks like Jean Phillipe Rameau or J. Mathesson we have lost this knowledge and we have a music-theory thats filled with inconsistancies that hardly anyone fully understands and students all over the planet have a hard time getting the hang of it (just look at all the questions and the hyper-complex answers in this forum).

however - this specific guitar looks more like it is tuned to some exotic scale for i have seen guitars with 17-note-per-octave frets and they look different to this one. looks as if the frets of a Saz or something like that have been adapted to this guitar.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 7
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/28/2004 4:57 pm
Well Im stumped !!
# 8
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
09/29/2004 12:37 pm
Well can't really glean any info from the man's website, looks like he is a prof. and well known in the classical guitar world, which is why none of us have ever heard of him...............
# 9
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/29/2004 1:48 pm
There is a picture of him hanging out with David Russell who I had the good fortune to see in concert about 15 years ago. He was then rated among the best classical guitarists alive !

Heavy company !!
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.