When is negative not negative ?

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/14/2004 1:27 am
Well boy have I just made a fool of my self !

I was reading the Grove tubes site and saw them describing the Anode as positively charged !

Now as you all know I work with DNA (which has a huge negative charge) and this when run on a gel migrates to wards the Cathode (positive) electrode.

How can this be ?

"Any way i emailed the tech support full of "Na mate you have it the wrong way round you do !" trying to be helpfully and all.

I have since discovered that the anode is positive terminal in an electrolytic cell and negative terminal in a galvanic cell and feel very foolish.

Bloody physicists can't even keep their ends strait !!!

Why is this !! Is God just screwing with me ?
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 1
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
09/14/2004 2:54 am
:confused: :confused: :confused:

dont feel so bad doc...Ive made some very very very stupid (and any other word that can describe stupid) mistakes at my school while fixing computers..it goes from putting an old IDE cables in wrong/backwards to not having the power plugged into the monitor and askin "why wont it come on"..they get much worse but thats another day..im feelin pretty dumb in my caculus class too...this X approaches infinity crap is sooooo dumb
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 2
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
09/14/2004 2:56 am
do you happen to know anything about computer engineerin doc?
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/14/2004 2:45 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonWell boy have I just made a fool of my self !

I was reading the Grove tubes site and saw them describing the Anode as positively charged !

... Why is this !! Is God just screwing with me ?
[font=trebuchet ms]With vacuum tubes (and most electronics), the Anode is connected to the Positive side of the power supply, and the Cathode is Negative. And the grid bias is even more negative than the Cathode.

Bear in mind that this is defined in terms of Conventional current, which defines current as flowing from Positive to Negative. This is, of course, reverse to Electron flow, in which the current is observed as electrons migrating from negatively charged areas (excess electrons) to positively charged areas (shortage of electrons). Conventional Current definition was in common use before electrons were known.

Some times it doesn't pay to think too much. Just as the occupant of the top bunk must climb up to lie down, and climb down to get up, it's often best to just nod, smile, and carry on! [/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
09/14/2004 3:23 pm
You got it doc, reduction is at the cathode and oxidation at the anode. Hence reduxtion is a gain of electrons (increase negitivity) and oxidation is a loss of electrons (increase positivity).

But you know that!

P.S. why cant physist, chemiest and biologist get along?
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/15/2004 1:48 am
Ok that said who makes good tubes for a Marshall ?

I think I am going to buy me a big old tube amp book
(I was thinking about this one or this one )
a biasing kit
( was thinking about this one as I allready have the DVM shown)
and A/B ing a fiew different types of tube.

Other than waiting for capacitors to discharge before rolling up my shirt sleeves does any on have any advice ?
# 6
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/15/2004 2:19 am
[font=trebuchet ms]The Tube Amp Book has some interesting pictures and stuff in it about who made what, but it gets wedged in amongst page after page of Assburn Pittman raving about his Groove Tubes. Lame - very lame.

The How To book is better for learning how to maintain your amp.

And your amp deserves better than that re-labeled Groove Tubes crap. Talk to Bob at Eurotubes about what you have, and what you want it to do. He sells JJ tubes, which for my money (and I've bought a lot of tubes), is the only company selling new-production tubes that give you excellent quality and predictable results. The advantage of buying through Eurotubes is that you get the benefit of Bob's advice about what tubes to buy, and how to set 'em up. Well worthwhile.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/15/2004 2:34 am
Cheers Dude, that is completely cool !

I will let you know how I get on !
# 8
kingdavid
kingdavid
09/15/2004 5:49 pm
When you read too much of the big stuff, like all that hyperoxyhexagonal1-23-triathlon-oxybutyl-methyl yadyadyadyada, you forget the little stuff you learnt in grade three.
Don't say I didn't warn you when your daughter who's in grade three asks you a question from her science book, and you, a dad who is called Dr. by academics(as opposed to medicine) can't answer, and you call out to your wife for assistance(assuming she hasn't also gotten done in by the big stuff).
# 9
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/15/2004 6:42 pm
I make a very good living out of hyperoxyhexagonal1-23-triathlon-oxybutyl-methyl yadyadyadyada, you know that "Stuff" keeps airplanes together, is used as glue in guitars, allows light-bulbs to work, cures disease and saves lives.

Think what you like !
# 10
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
09/16/2004 1:44 pm
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]

Some times it doesn't pay to think too much. [/font]

Hey, that's my life philosophy summarized in one small sentence, BTW, Does anyone know of a support group or 12 step program we can get Dr. Simon into or could do you think it's too late?
# 11
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/16/2004 2:05 pm
Finding one I haven't been thrown out of is the problem !!
# 12
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/16/2004 5:16 pm
Originally Posted by: pstringHey, that's my life philosophy summarized in one small sentence, BTW, Does anyone know of a support group or 12 step program we can get Dr. Simon into or could do you think it's too late?
[font=trebuchet ms]12 steps, eh? I suggest a dozen Newcastle Brown Ale, well-drawn, with a plate o' bangers'n'mash. If the symptoms persist, a large pitcher of scrumpy should calm the ranting. Mind, he'll want a bit of a wipe-up (at both ends, I fear) but slack-jawed drooling is considered a sign of deep contentment in some parts.

Cheers![/font] :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 13
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/16/2004 5:50 pm
12 pints of brown ail, well I havent done that in a while

you know me too well !!
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.