$$$

ckandes1
ckandes1
09/11/2004 8:26 pm
how much mula would i need to spend to get the equipment that i'd need to record something at an acceptable qaulity (vid. card, program, etc.)
[FONT=Courier New]
E||-----------------------------|---------------------||
B||-----------------------------|---------------------||
G||*--------7h8-7---------------|--------------5-----*||
D||*------------------7h8-7-----|--------5--------7--*||
A||---0--0---------0---------0--|--8--7-----7---------||
E||-----------------------------|---------------------||
:cool: Ckandes1
[/FONT]
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/11/2004 9:32 pm
Depends on what you're recording and what quality you're shooting for.
For a full 'one man band' thing, at the very least, you'll need a decently fast computer with lotsa RAM, a mixer, a keyboard or midi controller, ,midi converter, an amp, monitors, an extra hard drive, preferably a large computer monitor or 2 of them)... a mic if you want to do vocals or record acoustic. The sound card in the case of Macs you can just stick with the factory installed one but you can upgrade. Decent recording software will run you at least $500 and you'll need to buy some sample and loop CD's, cables and a couple of decent VST plug-ins like a reverb, compressor and a good VSTi synth. Plus cables, cables, cables, extension cables and powerbars and somewhere to set everything up.
If you want a decent sound when you're monitoring you need a decent stereo amp and some near field monitors and headphones..plus stands for stuff like the mic.

So basically, just add all that together & anything you pay above the basics will get ya better sound quality, more VST plug-ins, faster access and being able to run more plug-ins at once.. way better keyboard sounds and strings or samplers..monster cable, air conditioning for the hot summer months and a TV with a DVD to watch while you're doing boring editing... pizza, beer...
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/11/2004 9:53 pm
Or you could do it for a 1500 via a second hand Korg D1200, some second hand Alesis M1 active MK2s and a couple of microphones and maybe a preamp. This set up wont do much midi however if you are not into midi that it is really good (and very expandable) for recording audio on !

The computer way is more versatile but, for really good kit, much more expensive.

I think my setup has set me back about 10 K (excluding instruments).

Check this out
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.