Advise: What Amp Should I Buy?

spanky10940
spanky10940
10/17/2004 2:58 am
one quick word of advice because you have that zoom pedal. I'm sure they've all told you the same thing, but try before you buy. I say this because I made this mistake and so did a friend of mine... He has a fender Ultimate chorus (great amp btw) but he was using a multi effect pedal on it. I convinced him to play clean and you could hear a BIG difference in the amp. The pedal was muddying everthing up. I did that with a Fender princeton reverb.. great amp but I had a korg mult on it and it sounded like crap!

I don't know if you have a music store by you like I do here, but you can just walk in with your axe, sit down and plug into anything you see... that will be the true test to show you what you want and then get something similar, used or whatever...

hope this helps.
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 1
ckandes1
ckandes1
10/22/2004 12:49 am
thx for the tips man. i've been using the Zoom606 on my 25 watt fender for a while now. and i gotta admit the effects on the pedal are intersting, but i really love fender distortion more than anything i can get out of the pedal. same with peavey and marshall. they all have awesome quality sound and great gain etc. i love my Fender Frontman, it's just not loud enough thats all. I was talking to a friend recently though. he said he's spending $250 to built his own amp from the ground up. heres the interesting part: using car stereo equipment. he's got 760 watts piling up and it cost that little. in theory, i could hook up that much power to the brain of my Fender Frontman and have myself a 'new' loud as sh*t ampwith the same old fender sound, right? or no? anyone have experience with something like that?
[FONT=Courier New]
E||-----------------------------|---------------------||
B||-----------------------------|---------------------||
G||*--------7h8-7---------------|--------------5-----*||
D||*------------------7h8-7-----|--------5--------7--*||
A||---0--0---------0---------0--|--8--7-----7---------||
:cool: Ckandes1
[/FONT]
# 2
kingdavid
kingdavid
10/22/2004 3:52 pm
Not to be confused with the real gear gurus on this site, this is something I read in a book I have.
The polytone minibrute is quite the amp for small intimate settings.
I also read it was primarily designed as as a jazz amp, so maybe it won't work for heavy metal/hard rock.
I didn't read how much it costs. Maybe it's the amp equivalent of the D'Angelico excel archtops, and you don't even wanna go there.
# 3
ckandes1
ckandes1
10/28/2004 1:02 am
of course i guess the head to my frontman couldnt handle any more than 30-40 watts
[FONT=Courier New]
B||-----------------------------|---------------------||
G||*--------7h8-7---------------|--------------5-----*||
D||*------------------7h8-7-----|--------5--------7--*||
A||---0--0---------0---------0--|--8--7-----7---------||
:cool: Ckandes1
[/FONT]
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.