View post (How do I boost the volume????)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
09/13/2004 8:16 pm
Originally Posted by: JFRICKI've read that the best thing to do on the mixdown is to use the EQ as little as possible, or at least avoid boosting frequencies, that it causes unwanted distortion. Any remarks on this?

ahh. I would disagree. If it was true, you probably wouldnt see that huge arse mixer in every studio you see. But yeah you do need to avoid boosting certain frequencies like 200 hz. It doesn't cause distortion instead a muddy soundscape. And yeah at the mixdown stage, you don't need to make dramatic changes in the EQ, just blending changes. EQ makes each instrument stand out, because each instrument has certain target frequencies that bring out the best of its sound. Like 100 hz on a kick drum, thats where the punch is. Without boosting there your kick isn't gonna have any punch, maybe only a slap in the mudd. Whoever said that may not know what frequencies to look for, how to balance them, and/or boosts them too much or just in the wrong places. If it's causing distortion, then they're boosting them too much and they need to balance them better. Like the frequency I meantioned earlier, 100 hz, is a good place to boost a couple of instruments. Not only the kick drum, but the guitar, bass, toms, or any other low end instrument in the mix. So you have balance how much each is gonna get.

Also, dynamics is a big part of our music. We'll be jamming a loud metal lick, then drop out and go bluesy. We're all about dynamics and mixing different styles of music together.

On a distorted/overdrive guitar, you definitely want to use compression. For the loud heavy guitar (as a guideline) start with a comp. ratio of about 4:1 and have the gain reduction at about -3 db. But this really depends on your consistancy at playing. IF you have trouble staying at one volume you will need to boost these settings, but do so slightly. If you play at the same volume throughout, those settings should suffice. As for the lead/solo parts and blesy parts, I'd lower the gain reduction to -2 db. This should leave you with enough dynamic flexibility without cutting down the lighter parts.

Also try both line-out and micing the heavy guitar. This will give you a nicer broader sound than just doing one or the other. Mic the amp in your bathroom if possible, since the ambient effect will increase the guitars heaviness.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.