Cover Songs

HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
08/31/2004 9:55 pm
Okay, I've recently started up a second band which is a cover band. Anyone know what the deal is with playing and recording cover songs. I've alway's heard you can record them all you want, you just can't sell them. Anyone know if this is true?
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 1
Death55
Death55
09/04/2004 5:45 pm
I think you can do what you want with covers... record them etc. I do remember hearing that you cant sell them or something like that and you have to pay money to the people who originally made the song or something.. not too sure though.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/04/2004 10:25 pm
Try doing a google search for the Harry Fox Agency. They usually deal in that kind of stuff.
Just from personal experience though, it ain't worth it to record someone elses song unless you have a label willing to go to the trouble for you.
I tried it once with a cover of 'Every Breath You Take' and the cost was up in the thousands of dollars to get permission and tons of paperwork involved.
I basically just gave up. A lot of it depends on how you'll be releasing the song and how many copies you intend to sell or get radio airplay.
And if it comes to posting it on the internet, forget it.... they don't even have a clue cause they're so far behind the times when it comes to giving worldwide permission.
# 3
HDJ
HDJ
09/10/2004 6:17 pm
Well, we were going to record a few songs to use as a demo for booking shows. No intention on selling them. Most places around here (South Carolina) will not book a band unless they have a demo for them to listen to first.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/10/2004 6:49 pm
If you are not going to sell them or post them (on the internet) , I'd not even bother asking for permission. Just credit the writers on the out side of the tape / CD package !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/11/2004 4:38 am
yeah really... there's such a thing as 'reasonable use'.
If it's just demo tapes, don't sweat it.
It's kinda like bands playing cover songs in bars or DJ's spinning records at parties. Legally they're supposed to pay royalties but nobody does.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.