View post (soloing ideas)

View thread

The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/17/2004 2:24 pm
Originally Posted by: lee33There is more nonsense writen about guitar than any subject I can think of.

It's pretty fundamental really. You play what you hear in your head.

It's no good taking bits of scales and mode fragments and pasting them together and expecting them to sound like a solo any more than you can cut and paste bits of newspaper and make it sound like Shakespeare.

Play a few chords and hum or whistle a solo over them. Did you think about scales? Modes? Or did you just whistle what you heard in your head?

Well guitar soloing is just the same as whistling (or should be).

Learn to play what you hear in your head - and you have freedom.
There's only one scale worth knowing - and it's called the 'chromatic scale'.

Lee

You nailed it there. I've been trying to get this across to people. You can't play a bunch of random notes and hope to get anywhere. It's all about your ear.

BluesMetal - You don't need perfect pitch to do this. It does take a lot of work on your ears part, but it does get easier.

You need to start thinking of different ideas that can work. Try this - take a lick that you know and love, that you can play without even thinking about it. Now take the last note, but hum or whistle or sing a different note to replace it, that still makes it a good lick, just a little different. Now put it on guitar. Ok now try a different note and do the same thing. As time grows on and you keep doing this, eventually you will be able to hear what you are going to play before you play it. DO NOT confuse this with perfect pitch.

Ok cool that was my 2c.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks