issue with guitar in a live recording

heyindie
heyindie
08/02/2004 6:49 pm
hi guys i have this little problem (btw i'm new here :thumb: )
some people recorded a live show that my band played yesterday night, but i got a question: they recorded in MONO (shame on them), and while the sound is overall very clear, my guitar sucks (in 80% of the songs we use only one guitar), it sounds like a very "superficial" distortion (lol, i'm italian, it's hard for me to explain this in english), without depth.. overall the volume is too low, while the bass is too high and the drums have a bit too reverb..

i got cubase sx2 (i'm a noob at it), and THE REAL QUESTION IS:is there a filter for cubase or another program, that could help me give more depth to my guitar and a fatter distortion without destroying the rest of the recording?
besides, they gave us this recording in mp3, thus without single tracks..this makes hard to do something good to repair this bad recording...

thanks for any advice
(i hope i didn't post in the wrong forum ;) i'm new here)
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/02/2004 7:03 pm
There is, go to http://www.har-bal.com (short for harmonic balance) and you should be able to find a demo. However. I wouldn't expect it to end up sounding like it has come out of Abby Road !

You might want to suggest to the dude doing the recording that a pair of matched stereo mikes wouldn't break the bank !

Even the oldest reel to reel tape recorders have a left and a right input !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
08/02/2004 9:34 pm
if you have the whole thing on ONE mono track it is virtually impossible to remix individual instuments. some very very good sound engineers specialized on frequency-mixing can - to a certain degree - improve the sound of a recording like this. but as a basic rule in recording: there might be tonns of fancy recording/mixing tools - but you cannot turn sh*t into gold even with the best hard/software.
i´m not saying your band or your music is crap since i havent heard it. dont get me wrong. when you are after a good recording, then focus on a clear and not too overloaded arrangement. every instrument/musician needs enough space to come to live on a recording. keep this in mind when writing/performing/recording songs. and the better the input, the better the result. alot of musicians think "well - the sound of my instrument isnt that important - the sound engineer can mix it and it will sound great". - WRONG!!!!!

however - back to your problem. what you have is probably onle level above a bootleg recorded with a walkman. ditch it. or keep it in your memories-album. for your next gig, try to get someone who can provide a well equiped computer or harddiscrecordingstation that is plugged into the mixer and record every instrument on a seperate track. then you wont have as much problems with the mix.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.