Intonation question 3 saddle Tele bridge

RobSm
RobSm
08/02/2004 10:06 am
I read that it was possible to correctly intonate and tune 3 saddle bridged telecasters by tuning the strings on each saddle slightly lower at the 12th fret (left string) & slighlty sharp(right string...as you look at the guitar front on ie e6 is leftmost)

Has anyone got direct experience with this?

I want to build a Warmoth tele and also read that this 3 saddle design bridge had superior sonic properties because of the brass saddles and because the downward pressure of two strings over each saddle gave a more solid 'connection' to the bridge plate.

Has anyone got direct experience with this?
Robbo
# 1
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/03/2004 4:42 pm
Hey Rob, the method I use only involves tweaking the D-G saddle, adjust the saddle so that the D string's 12 fret note is slighly flat of the 12 fret harmonic, this causes the G string 12 fret note to be slightly sharp compared to the harmonic, then when you tune up, set the open G slightly flat, this method works fairly well, have you given any thought to the compensated saddles? I'll probably order a Callaham bridge this week that has the compensated saddles, I'm getting ready to do a bit of up grading on my tele-style guitar and have wanted to give the compensated saddles a shot, and the Callaham bridge is a nice solid piece. I have played Tele's with both the 3 saddle and the 6 saddle bridge and really can't say that the 3 saddle has any real advantage over the 6 saddle, but can't really say that the 6 saddle is in any way better than the 3 saddle, it may be just another case of "guitar player wishful thinking syndrome", if you are interested, I'll put up a review of the Callaham bridge here in a few weeks, good luck................. :)
# 2
RobSm
RobSm
08/05/2004 11:50 am
Thanks for the tip on Callaham.

I looked at their web page and must say I was impressed. The Ice blue strat made me salivate.

They seem to take use the principle that they should do FEW things VERY WELL indeed & not try to all things to all men.

I will probably buy their tele hardware kit. But I want to use a push pull pot to give parallel & series options when both pickups are selected and I can't recall seeing that discussed.

Also will probably buy Kinman pickups & I believe their wiring is..er..unique.

Thanks again for your response.
Robbo
# 3
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/09/2004 3:32 pm
Oh, they love those Kinmans down under :p , Support the local boy I guess, Well good luck with it Rob!........................
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.