Looks like I owe Boss an apology

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/25/2004 1:04 am
Anyone remember me ranting and raging about how terrible these two Boss pedals were about 2 years ago ?

Well one of them is (GP-20 amp factory, a real turd of a pedal) and the other, I have just retrieved from the store where it has been on consignment for the last 18 months.

Anyway I got it home and plugged it and and it is the most amazing, bone-crushing completely mental distortion pedal I have ever come across !

Ladies and gentlemen I give you the Boss OD-20 !

A completely mental yet sensitive, versatile and very useful stomp-box modeler !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/25/2004 5:22 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simon... Anyway I got it home and plugged it and and it is the most amazing, bone-crushing completely mental distortion pedal I have ever come across !

Ladies and gentlemen I give you the Boss OD-20 !

A completely mental yet sensitive, versatile and very useful stomp-box modeler !
I doubt that the pedal changed over the last 18 months, so I guess that you have?
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
07/25/2004 5:26 pm
There you have it folks, a clear cut example of evolution :p
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/25/2004 6:14 pm
HA take that creationists !!!

I am also running it through an amp (my beautiful Marshal MG15 microstack) which is being miked with a Shure KSM44 feeding a Focusrite VMP or...... is going into a POD as opposed to going direct into a Tascam 424mK III which I guess may help a little.

Either way... it still sounds good and I like it !!!!!

I have also had the good fortune to discover the Boss super phaseshifter which is a lovely piece of kit and only compounds my guilt !

I guess it also goes to shown that a bit of kit is only as good as the context it is used in .... or in other words, is as good as the user !
# 4
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/27/2004 10:45 pm
I remember that, you hated Boss with a passion;

I own a Boss RC-20 Loop Station, and it's built like a tank. I could throw this thing off a bridge and it'd still work (probably....). The sampling quality isn't perfect (I'd never use it live), but it's great for practicing.

~Incidents
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/27/2004 11:16 pm
Man I was so pissed with then about that GP-20 amp factory, they have since discontinued it ! It was truly a crock and I think the only pedal I have ever had that was worse was a Maxx digital delay and that was good as a paper weight and little else !

However, I have had a lot of good luck with Boss kit recently.

I'm still making my mind up about the autowah (AW3), though I think I prefer the real deal.

I have owned Dunlop Hendrix fuzz-Wha (nice crybaby 'orrible distortion, very expensive) and a standard crybay in the past as well as the Vox Wah (modeled on my Pod Pro) which is better than the one on the GNX2. However...I have one of the dunlop "Q control" beasts on its way so we shall do the ol A B test with the AW3 !

With the AW3 I like the idea of being able to switch it on and then forget about it until it is no longer required. That works for some things and not others. I think I will probably end up keeping both !
# 6
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
07/28/2004 4:29 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonI'm still making my mind up about the autowah (AW3), though I think I prefer the real deal.

After some time of owning a Crybaby (535Q) and also listening to/watching some bands that use autowahs/envelope filters, I think that there are definite advantages to the autowah route.

Hmph. I don't really feel in an elaborative mood today. Without further explanation, the above info is pretty useless. Well, I'm sure you'll figure out what I'm on about, Doc.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.