- Metal Lead: Get Started Intro
- Metal Lead: Sound
- Learn From The Blues
- Chord Tones & Scales
- Solo Part 1: Bends & Chord Tones
- Solo Part 2: Unison Bends
- Solo Part 3: Bluesy Double Stops
- Solo Part 4: Harmonizing
- Play Along: Harmonizing
- Play Along: The Entire Solo
- The Harmonizing Part Slowed Down
- The Entire Solo Slowed Down
Harmonizing is a common way to spice up a metal solo. Typically, bands like Iron Maiden have used this a lot. One of the most common ways to harmonize a guitar part, is by adding a second guitar playing the same lick a third up.
So how do you know where this third is? Well, this is where scales are very useful. If you stay within the scale, you can just go up two steps and there's your fitting harmony.
This doesn't ALWAYS sound good, but in this example it does.