telecaster vs stratocaster

learninfast
learninfast
04/21/2004 1:04 am
first off this is not a comparison because they are two different les of the instrument. what i would like to know if anyone could please tell me is what the difference is. i can purchase a telecaster from squire for 300$ and maybe less at an upcomming sale at long and mcquade this weekend. i hear telecasters are better designed for blues and rock as well as fast action on the neck. but i dont know **** from what ive heard .
someone please tell me the basic differences between telecaster stratocaster if you can.
thank you.
wes
[email]j.neveu@sympatico.ca[/email]
# 1
agtierney
agtierney
04/21/2004 1:30 am
from what i know about em (being lefthanded ive only had a couple of run ins with a telecaster) that teles are more designed for the twangy country sound, but thats not all they do.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/21/2004 2:49 am
Most guitars can be used to play most styles of music. It's much more important to get an instrument that feels good in your hands, and sounds good to your ears.

L&M has been in business for a long time, and they've built a well-deserved reputation for backing up their sales. Go with the most "right-feeling" axe you can afford, whatever that turns out to be. Take very good care of it, and if you decide you want something else, I'm sure L&M will let you trade it in.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Gawen
Gawen
04/23/2004 5:48 am
Hiya!

It wouldn't be fair to compare the two, but the Tele (I own one) has it's uses as does the Strat (I own one too!)

I find staright up rock the Start fits the bill and for more toneful applications the Tele works well!

BUT then I swap 'em around to so hey???

Don't let rpice be too much of a guide, let your ears and your hands do the decision making (not to say ignore your pocket tho! :-) )

Hope this helps!
# 4
u10ajf
u10ajf
04/23/2004 1:27 pm
I don't know of telecasters being better designed for blues and rock than strats. Actually (although I confess I've never played a tele, only a copy) the lowest action, thinnest fretted easiest guitars I've ever played have been Strats or squires (the cheap Strat-mimic that Fender make). It has other advantages over strats but I wish my Ibanez was that easy to play. Strats rock whatsmore you can get them with humbuckers and floating floydd roses these days...
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 5
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/23/2004 1:52 pm
Strats have the faster neck of the two guitars. However, tele's have an amazing blues tone. If I were you, heh, I'd buy an Ibanez. They exploit foreign work more than anyone else, so their guitars are relatively cheap in comparison with others. Actually, here's what I suggest. www.carvin.com Go to that site and buy a guitar. they ship directly from their factory so there's no store markup and they make AWESOME guitars and AMAZING electronics. (go for the seven strings, they kick ass)
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 6
dinell2
dinell2
04/23/2004 8:18 pm
Fender Strat has the single coil sound used by the legends- Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Stevie Ray Vaughn,...

Fender Telecaster or Tele has the de facto country guitar sound

Tele has more tone and nice cleans compared to a Strat. But for distortion, I I personally think the Strat makes for a better Rock guitar where-as the Tele is nice for blues, funk, country, ect.

I like both Teles and Strats, but only when they have hotter bridge pickups. I love single coils, but I need something with more mid-range and output in the bridge. I'd probably end up going with a Strat and installing a humbucker or a hotter single coil, but I could live with a Tele as well. A custom guitar I have in mind is similar to a Telecaster Plus, which consists of a hard-tail bridge, bridge humbucker with mounting ring, and a Strat-style headstock.

www.guitarz-for-ever.com
http://groups.msn.com/GuitarPage
# 7
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
04/24/2004 3:32 am
Well, I have a fender stratocaster and I've never played a telecaster so all I can tell you is I like my strat and I think that teles are some of the most butt ugly looking things I've ever seen. Seriously, those pick gaurds and that metal strip with the knobs and switch. That's just repulsive, let alone the body shape and headstock. Though I did see one that didn't have the gaurd on it and the knobs were organized in a decent way. That one did look good, but the rest. I find them to be repulsive. But I don't know much on their sound other than I've seen them in more country things than I have anything else.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 8
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
04/25/2004 3:44 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsWell, I have a fender stratocaster and I've never played a telecaster so all I can tell you is I like my strat and I think that teles are some of the most butt ugly looking things I've ever seen. Seriously, those pick gaurds and that metal strip with the knobs and switch. That's just repulsive, let alone the body shape and headstock. Though I did see one that didn't have the gaurd on it and the knobs were organized in a decent way. That one did look good, but the rest. I find them to be repulsive. But I don't know much on their sound other than I've seen them in more country things than I have anything else.

I used to feel the same way; I thought that Teles were super ugly. But after a little while, the look grew on me, and now I think they're better looking than Strats, since Strats are cool but not as unique-looking.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 9
PopeyeGuy
PopeyeGuy
09/18/2007 9:18 am
Its funny how peoples tastes can be so different.

I have always considered Stratocasters to be exceedingly ugly. Those 2 dopey looking arms sticking out over the fretboard. Ugh!

On the other hand, I find the Telecasters to be soooo classy looking. Classic, classy and sharp looking.

Different stokes for different folks I guess! :)

PopeyeGuy
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.